Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning Image To Text

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi all,

I am trying to scan a page, and then from the resultant image copy and paste the text from that image into a word document.

I have an Epson DX4000 all in one printer and my OS is Win XP Home. On my old CX3200 it was possible using the installed Epson bundle, but this new printer is having none of it :flowers:
Anyone know of any software, preferably free :thumbsup: that will do what l require?

Many thanks
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

What you need to do, is scan, using OCR.
Most scanners come with OCR software, these days.

OCR - Optical Character Recognition
Here's an explaination:
Optical character recognition

If your Epson has the Epson Smart Panel software, open it up.
Under Document, look for Edit Text.
That'll be the OCR program.

If your scanner doesn't come with it, here's a free program you can use:
simpleocr
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:41 AM

Hi Tq,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have in fact found the answer to my problem. Whilst having a look around my computer l came across a cool tool in MIcrosoft tools: Microsoft Office Scanning Tool. If l use this to scan my documents l can highlight any text within the image and copy and paste it into a Word doc.
Most people should have this on their computer and it really is useful to know.

Many thanks
Geoff

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:18 AM

You're welcome, Geoff.
Glad to hear, you were able to find a solution to your problem. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users