Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Descriptions For Process Id's Of Svchost.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

I am looking for a site that list all the "process id's" in Windows XP with a description of all the processes involved with the various instances of svchost.exe.

I am aware of Systernals "Process Explorer" and use it, but not all instances of svchost.exe are running at any given time.

I have a running list pf process id's for svchost.exe that I have captured at different times and am looking for a simple way to identify what they are without having to run Process Explorer each time a new one comes up.

Anybody know of such a site that has a complete list of all possible svchost.exe process id's in Windows XP with a description of the services they control?

Thanks in advance!! CilyPudi
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

Have you checked out "How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

Thank You quietman7. I was also told elsewhere that the PID's are not static, and change with each logon, and must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time.

In short, the "list" I was seeking cannot be created.

And I love this forum. CilyPudi
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

Yes, the PID's aren't static - but they generally stay the same, or nearly the same because they're running services all the time. Only if they're used part of the time will they change significantly (and I haven't ever noticed this on any of my systems).

I'd suspect that there was either a virus (not likely since this only happens part time) or a poorly designed program (most likely) that's only launched on occasion.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

There are several ways to investigate svchost.exe and related processes.

If you have XP Pro, you can use Tasklist to view the list of services processes that are running in Svchost. The /SVC switch shows the list of active services in each process.

Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok
At the command prompt type: tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt
press Enter

Go to Start > Run and type: C:\taskList.txt
press Ok to view the list of processes

For help and syntax information, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
tasklist /?
or see: Syntax options

You can also use the WMI command-line utility to view and list processes.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok
At the command prompt type: WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid
or: WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt path win32_process get Caption,Processid,Commandline
press Enter

Go to Start > Run and type: C:\ProcessList.txt
press Ok to view the details of all the processes.

You can download and use Process Explorer to investigate all processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. This tool will show the process CPU useage, a description, company name and its path (location). If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you can gather additional information.

And you can search the process name using Google or Process ID.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users