Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Rid Of Mcafee?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chasgallo

chasgallo

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

We have tried to delete Mcafee security software from our PC, and just can not get rid of it..from unistall programs not working to manually deleting recognizable entries..Does any one have and trick or know a way to get rid of this software. Our system creeps with it on. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Moved from the All other Applications Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 12 May 2007 - 08:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:49 AM

You might try the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe) .

Let us know if it works for you, OK?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Here is a direct link to
MCPR.exe with instructions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Thanks quietman7.

Your link is the page I was viewing when I posted my link.

Dunno how I got that other page in the URL.

Anyway, that's where I wanted him to go, and with your help, we got him there.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

Please also try this utility offered by F-Secure.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...ller-Tool.shtml

This utility include some uninstallers.
You can execute UNINSTAV.EXE or UNINMCVS.EXE in it.
UNINSTAV.EXE is the uninstaller for all of supported Anti-Virus.
UNINMCVS.EXE is the uninstaller for only McAfee.

Edited by HIPPO1023, 14 May 2007 - 06:57 AM.

#6 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help! McAfee is gone, now working on getting rid of Norton. Can't delete some folders with some scheduler in it...Man these virus products are not easy to remove.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

For Norton you can download and run the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) for your version of Windows. (skip step 3 if your not going to reinstall your Norton product).

How many anti-virues do you have on this system? You should only be using one. The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

#8 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:59 AM

All free trials that were on my wifes machine, and now I am trying to clean it all up. She had McAfee, Norton, and Kabersky..she uninstalled both Norton and McAfee using the uninstall programs, but the remnants remain. I have spent hours...

This Norton thing is in folders, when I do a search in her folders and find some folders with symantec and Norton......I can not delete two of the folders because it says they are running..I will try that uninstaller link you gave me tonight. Thanks again!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

Your welcome and good luck.

Out of the three trials, I would recommend Kaspersky. However there are free alternatives that you can use:
AVG Anti-Virus Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Active Virus Shield - How to Install, Configure, and Use

Edited by quietman7, 14 May 2007 - 02:35 PM.

#10 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

After another few HOURS on her PC, I now have found that at start up, the svchost.exe is consuming 95 - 100% of the CPU....at times it does it for minutes, at times longer...and when it does everything else freezes up? At times I can not even get the task manager open when doing an alt controll delete...

Any hints about what can be done? Hope to hear back soon..thanks.

#11 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

i had the same problem wirh svchost few weeks ago. tried everything. Only windows reinstallation helped.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

You receive an access violation error when you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update after you apply hotfix package KB916089...The Svchost.exe process that runs Windows Update stops responding....

MS Article ID: 927891

...Some readers reported 99% CPU eaten up by svchost.exe after they had applied the recent batch of MS updates....

ISC SANS Handler's Diary

When you use Automatic Updates to scan for updates or to apply updates to applications that use Windows Installer, you experience issues that involve the Svchost.exe process...The Svchost.exe process may spike the CPU usage to 100 percent during update detection or update installation. Also, the Svchost.exe process causes the computer to stop responding for various lengths of time...The Svchost.exe process produces an access violation during update detection or update installation...

MS Article ID: 932494 with Hotfix for issues that involve the Svchost.exe process

If the Hotfix does not help, then proceed as follows:
1. Click Start > Run and type: services.msc.
2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".
3. Click on the Log On tab, ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.
4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.
5. Click on the tab "General"; make sure the "Startup Type" is Automatic. Then click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.
6. Repeat the above steps with the service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

Re-register Windows Update components and Clear the corrupted Windows Update temp folder.
1. Go to Start > Run and type: REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
2. Press Enter.
3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK.
4. Repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Since the temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted, refer to the following steps to rename this folder:
1. Click on Start > Run and type: cmd
and press Enter.
Type the following command at the command prompt: net stop WuAuServ
(Note, you might need to reboot before the net stop command will work)
2. Click on Start > Run and type: %windir%
and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder "SoftwareDistribution" to "SDold".
4. Click on Start > Run and type: cmd
and press Enter.
5. Type the following command at the command prompt: net start WuAuServ

You can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location.

The Process Explorer window shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

Also see "How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process" and "What is svchost.exe?".

#13 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

Will try all this tonight..thanks again for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users