Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spare Hard-drive Not Located In My Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:18 AM

I just built a new system. I've had a multitude of problems, most of which I've handled myself, but this one has me stumped.

I brought both of my internal hard drives over from my old system. I had to delete the old partitions on both and start new ones. I have loaded windows Xp onto my most efficient drive(the bigger faster one, Maxtor 250gb), and planned on using my 80gb Seagate(ST380011A) as the slave spare drive.

Well I accidentally put Seagate on the master end of the wire jumpered on cable select, with Maxtor jumpered on slave on the slave part of the wire; all prior to installing windows. I selected to have windows installed on Maxtor of course, but it was jumpered on slave I found out later.

When I looked in My Computer, I noticed that my spare hard drive(master) was nowhere to be found. There was only one drive letter under hard disk drives. This is when I found out the orientation of the drives and fixed it, jumpering both on cable select and reversing the drives' places on the ribbon. Problem is, my spare hard drive is still not listed in My Computer after the fix. It(ST380011A) is listed under Device Manager as working properly, but I have no way to access or store files on it. It is also listed correctly in the BIOs. I heard somewhere that it probably needs to be reformatted, but how do I do that without installing Windows on it, and I can't even access it? It's only 80 gb, but that space is always useful for something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Find the 80 gB drive and right click on it to partition and format it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

I've never heard of anyone using one drive on cable select and one on slave, but it probably works. I would try using them both as master + slave, or both cable select prior to reformatting.

Posted Image

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

You can also download Disk management tools from segate/maxtor (same company now) and boot to the disk tools and format it that way. If you can't do it through windows

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 squall_1981

squall_1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

It worked with diskmgmt.msc, before both my drives just went bust! I think this f-ing up the jumpers has caused a corruption in my drives, neither one are responding after being loaded with windows! I just went out and got a SATA drive, my first one. One of these days, I'll put the drives back in and run tools on them to see what's wrong and if they can be fixed. Right now, my computer's running smooth on the new drive. One question though, I know nothing about raid. I have my drive settings at non-RAID in BIOS. Should I set them to RAID? This has never been an issue with me before, I just decided my next hard drive should be a much faster one.

Edited by squall_1981, 14 May 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html. I used this to set up my first raid array. It will answer your question.

:thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 squall_1981

squall_1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

I only have one SATA drive. RAID really does not sound worth it, my drive does everything it should and more compared to the IDE drives that I've used. I've already seen faster data transfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users