Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Restarts Randomly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

My Pc has started to restart randomly ....sometimes it would turn off for few seconds , or minutes.Does this have somthing to do with the motherboard or heatsink?pls help.thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:02 AM

I would check motherboard and cpu temps prediodically, especially when it restarts. I had a similar problem before I developed good habits at cleaning out the case and heatsink. The cpu fan and heatsink got too dusty and I hit 65C and it would automatically restart.

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:06 AM

Recently,I installed speedfan in the computer not connected to the internet running a duat boot with xp and 2000, to check the temperature.At first it started to detect hd0:36C but each time I restarted the pc temp seemed to increase incredibly.It went up as high as 50C and I noticed a flame icon beside HD0.Is this the reason why this pc keeps on restarting.Will I also expect that one day it will not come on anymore?What to do to fix this issue?Thanks

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:10 AM

And also,how will I know the temperature of CPU?Why is cpu temp is not detected?Is this speedfan which I installed designed solely for HD temp monitoring?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

SpeedFan relies on the information provided to it by sensors - if the sensor isn't working/reporting the way SpeedFan needs it, then there'll be a problem.

FYI - SpeedFan reports my CPU as being -81 degrees C, but it does report each core as 39 degrees C.

Post a listing of all the temperatures that SpeedFan finds and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

I was wondering why my speedfan does not list CPU temperature only HD0 is listed.This I was trying to find out.Do you know where I can download speedfan that determines my CPU and motherboard's temp as well.If suppose we cant rely oon the information speedfan gives how else can we can solve this?Sometimes, I could even see the message box which is a shutdown countdown box.And when it appears PC freezes and I have to press reset.The computer does not emit any beep sound.But OS loads perfectly.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Please post a list of all the temperatures that SpeedFan finds.

Since it's freeware, it may be that your motherboard's sensors are not listed. There are instructions on the SpeedFan site that tell which mobo's are supported - and there's instructions on how to submit unidentified motherboards to him.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:53 AM

I could post a list of temps speed fan finds as of now as I dont have usb with me.All I can is Hard disk temperature that reaches 50C and when it hits that the computer's screen turn blue with error messages like this.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win2k.sys
If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, start your computer.If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Chekc to be sure you have adequate diskspace.If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufactturer for driver updates.Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.If you need to use Safe moce to remove or disable components restar your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information
Stop: 0x0000008E (0x000001D)
win2k.sys - address BF88D42 base at 8F800000
beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete

#9 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

what driver is it referring to?and how would I disable bios memory option?is it found in bios setup?I think that computer has got a lot of hardware problems.Thanks for any suggestions.

#10 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

Do you have service pack 1 of windows XP by any chance? I heard on other forums that an error like this can be solved by upgrading to service pack 2. It is also possible your ram card is faulty, or loose, or the connector is faulty. Try sticking it in another slot on your motherboard. 50 degree celcius cpu temp is on the high end, but not deadly serious enough to fry your cpu anytime soon, or restart the pc. Just be sure and dust the heat sink off good. You might consider investing in a better heatsink fan if this is a common temp for your processor.

Edited by squall_1981, 15 May 2007 - 08:06 AM.

#11 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Yeahh...it's XP SP1 installed in this computer.How would I upgrade it to SP2 then?

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

I have seen while it was performing scandisk that there are some sectors which are unrewritable.Also, here's the event description I got from the eventviewer.

The ff: boot-start/sys-star driver(s) failed to load.

Thank you all guys for sharing your ideas!

#13 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Upgrade to service pack 2 of XP here. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx. If your computer has problems rewriting, it may have a faulty hard drive, but see if the problem goes away when you have installed service pack 2.

Edited by squall_1981, 15 May 2007 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users