Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook2003 Broke - Can't Type Replies

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

I made a mistake of my life.
I just wanted to install April patches. Well, April and May patches installed before I even had a chance to review the May ones. I'm convinced 4 or 8 patches to Outlook or Office or WindowsXP broke something.

The issue is that as I reply to email, there's a horrendous delay between typing every character. So I type 3 words and see three letters, and wait till others appear, s l o w l y, o n e b y o n e. Utilization hits about 50% and the typing delay is intolerable.

No problems typing NEW mail.
No problems in Word, Excel, Notepad, Wordpad or right now, on this forum.

For diagnostics, I've shut off the firewall, AV, AS, everything, disconnected from the internet (not that I've seen any activity) - no effect, so it's not conflicts.

Where do I look next? Any ideas? Anyone else with this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

go to add remove programs check the show updates box, then uninstall all the updates that were just finished. restart the computer, then run windows update manually, select custom. then you can read each update, and uncheck anything to do with MS office.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Thank you. I will do that. Few questions first, PLEASE.
1. In Add/Remove there's no time stamp, just date. I would think removing in reverse order from installation would be desireable. Is it?
2. And should I reboot after every single one or after all got removed?
3. Also when you say "Office patches" I'm not clear. Some are titled Office, other are specific to Word, Excel, Powerpoint - which should I select? All?

Incidentally, this happens on attempted repies to about 80% of messages, not all. To some I have already replied before with no problem. So I feel the patches really did me in.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

1 You should remove the May 2007 updates first.

2 restart after all may 07 updates are removed

3 re run windows update as custom all the M$ security will show up
also click on restore hidden updates

click the + by each update. click on details

if you dont want that update check not to show again.

do not run any updates that apply to any office program.

after that you can try to install all the other updates one at a time till you find the offending update.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

Do we know what update(s) caused this issue? I'm holding off on downloading the MS Windows updates for May until I hear more...

Here are the updates that come up for me that I haven't downloaded yet:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/91935/questions-about-may-ms-windows-security-updates/

And I'm guessing that KB931768 is this one listed which seems to have some MS Office patches in it, as described here?

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/...ins/200705.mspx

And if that's the case, then could this be what caused tos226's problems...? And if so, should this patch be avoided?

However, I use OE *not* Outlook... which do you have, toss22? And would it have an effect on either/both?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 13 May 2007 - 11:29 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

Hi Bloomcounty!

To start with your question, kb931768 is for IE7 not Office. 890830 is malicious software thing, and 930916 is general windows patch. None of the patches you mentioned are Office. The patches that got pushed my way were:
Windows: KB 931261, 930178, 931784, 932168, 930916
IE7: 931768
Junk mail: 934708, malicious removal 890830
Office general and product specific: 934180, 933666, 934181, 933669.

I use Office2003 Pro. So it's Outlook 2003, not express.

Ok, I've been doing it slowly and not completely following Oldf@rt's instructions. So I'll end up being sorry :flowers:
1. I uninstalled Office patch 934180, the general M$ Office fixes. Not sufficient.
2. Then I uninstalled 934181, a Word patch (Word is default editor in Outlook) - that fixed being able to reply to all mails with the exception of those which arrived under this new patch regime. Actually, that's not completely tru - there are few older emails to which replying is painful. May be related to Windows patches, I don't yet know (see pt.5)
3. I uninstalled 934708, the junk mail patch, just for the heck of it. No change.
4. I did not uninstall 933666 (Excel) and 9333669 (PowerPoint), I see no point doing so. I'm not sure why Word patch had an effect, since I use plain text messages.
5. I did not uninstall Windows patches.

Please remember that some of these aren't even May patches (which I installed without wanting to) but April ones.

So with most Office patches gone, I need to watch it a bit more. If trouble continues, I will uninstall the Windows patches as well. But I don't think it will be necessary. I'll be back.

Review of patches before installing has always been my method, but as I said in the first post, this was a mistake. But when you think about it, M$ gives very cryptic advice. They certainly do not say "it'll break your ability to type more than 1 character every 2 seconds" :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 13 May 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

TOS226, thanks for the great detail in this post, I am sure that this will help out other members also!

Here is one thing that may help:

Reduce the size of an Offline Folder file (.ost)

the instructions are built into the Outlook help file. For all you T-Bird users this is Compacting the folder or compressing a database

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

To start with your question, kb931768 is for IE7 not Office. 890830 is malicious software thing, and 930916 is general windows patch. None of the patches you mentioned are Office.

Ah, I see that now... thanks!

I see you have XP SP2 (as I do). Do you, by chance, have IE6? If so, did that KB931768 give you any issues?

(As I described here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=56&t=91935 it tells me that it's for IE6, but it seems like it's really for IE7...)

Edited by bloomcounty, 14 May 2007 - 09:42 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Bloomcounty, 931768 is a puzzle. When I googled, it showed under IE4, IE5, IE6, IE7. Go figure.
In Control panel, my 931768 clearly says Internet Explorer 7. That's what I use and saw no problems. But the main browser i use is Opera, so I don't yet know it problems.
Yes, XP-SP2 home.

Oldf@rt, I'll do the file reduction, though I don't think 1100 messages, most short, is all that much. about 500meg total.

The only way I can really be sure is scrap all the April-May jobs as you suggested. We'll see & I'll be back. Remember this isn't really incapacitating me at this point. More of a puzzle state.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

I just installed the office type update, all programs except outlook worked ok outlook -- same problem that you had removed update emails that i got in when the update was applied took over 1 min to open, still did after uninstall, deleted e mails, compressed file outlook seems to run ok again. This is with office 2003.

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Office Pro 2003 here.

Do I understand your procedure correctly:
You updated, and Outlook acted up.
Without removing M$ updates, you deleted mails that just came under the patches..
You compressed the .ost file.
All ok now.

I suppose if I delete the recent mail and reget them from the ISP server, it'll work? Did I get it right?

I don't have .ost, just .pst. In need of Archiving (Outlook asked the other day if to archive, I didn't have time, so skipped it, besides I can never find the good archive - still haven't figured out how it works)

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

Sorry, I was not clear enough. I did uninstall the office update.

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Unfortunately compacting .pst didn't work.
On a great tip from somone, I followed another path - html format in received mail which I guess forces reply style to use html format as well.

Yeah, it’s Microsoft’s doing, but appears unavoidable at this time or in the future.
Looks like a perfect time to switch to HOSTS (instead of Spybot or Spywareblaster) because of this
http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archi.../13/901386.aspx
HOSTS tutorial, thanks Grinler!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/
Change is constant :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 16 May 2007 - 11:05 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

I'd suggest that using the HOSTS file in conjunction with SpywareBlaster would be a good thing (they use different ways of detecting bad websites - so they won't conflict). And AdAware is a different kind of program (which actively searches for threats rather than just blocking sites like the HOSTS file and SpywareBlaster) - so I'd recommend continuing to use it also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

SUCCESS. Final conclusion for me based on above information:

1. Default editor does not seem to be relevant. Instead,
2. On the main Outlook menu is Format. I used it after clicking reply. The options are
Plain text
Rich Text
HTML
Rich text option is sometimes shaded out. What is available depends on the format of the received message, not always obvious, other than for me, when HTML is involved, Outlook types my reply in blue. AHA!!

So long as I switch away from HTML, typing replies is quick!

I confirmed that when HTML format is used, for every freakin' character I type in HTML mode, ProcMonitor (Sysinternals) shows Outlook process reading the registry, ALL (thousands) entries and subentries in this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

These entries were built by Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster. NO, I'M NOT FAULTING THEM as others on the web have done. The reality is that Microsoft changed the way they do things with IE7 links to applications such as Outlook and recent Office updates show the effect.

Oldf@art - I'm very grateful for your experimenting on your computer. Huge help!

Usasma - Yes, I need to plan what's next. I actually merged Spybot's sites list into the HOSTS file a while back. I have no intention of abandoning non-runtime use of Ad-Aware. Just not yet sure how to handle Spybot and SpywareBlaster. But as you can see, the workaround to Outlook will do the job. For now. We may all need to rethink some new approaches to fit in with what M$ is doing. I'll be looking for advice here.

Edited by tos226, 16 May 2007 - 09:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users