Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securely Delete Sensitive Data

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

I was thinking about using my Open Office word processor to create a list of all of my passwords and user names. I'm talking about financial sites, now; data that is used to access my life savings.

I would first block all internet traffic with my firewall, create the document, print it, and then shred the document using CCleaner's shredding tool.

I want to be absolutely certain that ALL traces of this document are deleted from my PC. Will printing it create any type of a "print log"; or is there anything else that I should know about?

I intend on storing the printed document in my 450 pound gun safe for any emergency that may render my Roboform program (or my entire PC, for that matter) unusable. Of course, I already have all of this information on a hand-written paper. I just thought that it would be nice to have it in a typed, well laid-out printed paper. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Edited by jgweed, 12 May 2007 - 08:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

You current method is obviously the most secure, since it avoids the computer completely and relies on the gun safe. However, your proposed method seems to be almost as safe against all but the most expert attempts to compromise the information.
It might be helpful to understand how your printer and its software, though, handle files once printed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

It's certainly not your job to "do my homework" for me, John, so is that a request for the type of printer that I use? It is a Canon Pixma iP1600. I understand the question, but I'm not quite sure on where I would find that information. I believe that the help files only list "how to use" information, and not information like that.

P.S. Just curious; What did you do when you edited my original post? It looks the same from my memory.

Edited by rlprlp, 12 May 2007 - 01:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users