Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting from pc permanatly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ftlmo

ftlmo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:50 AM

[BHow do u permantly delte thing form your computer so that it is no longer on there.I down loaded some thing went to add remove and uninstalled it but noticed it is still there,where do i go to get rid of it once and for all.
I am running windows 98

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:21 AM

Do you mean it's still listed in 'Add/Remove Programs', or it still exists as a folder in Program Files? If a folder still exists and sure that's what it is, just delete it.
If it's still listed in Add/Remove even though the actual program has gone, download a free utility to remove it from the list. Google 'Add/Remove' and that should come up with something.

Here's just one I found in less than a second:

http://www.superwin.com/freeware.htm

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:23 PM

Go to
> Start
> Search For Files and Folders
>Type in the program name
> Search
> If it shows up
> Right Click
>Then choose
> Delete
Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

I use Add/Remove Pro and have never had any problems with it. It can remove entries in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall programs, check the uninstall string and lots more. It also can remove programs that are on your computer and have no entries in Add/Remove programs or any apparent way to uninstall them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:42 AM

Cool thanks. He could give it a go then. So let me clarify things ftlmo.

If you haven't tried the Add/Remove programs option. Do that. And as pip22 mentioned.

If it's still listed in Add/Remove even though the actual program has gone, download a free utility to remove it from the list.

If that is the case. The link that pip22 has given above that is for Add/Remove Pro has been recommended by Leurgy that would be your next step.

And as I have also mentioned above. Do a search for Files and Folders that pertain to the programs that you have removed. I always do this. As an extra step to an un-install. Since they can and will linger on your system. Not excactly a neccessary step. But why keep the Files and Folders in your system if the program has been removed.

Edited by scarlett, 17 January 2005 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:07 PM

You can also try nice and free program called Process Explorer.. Here..
Check this site out as well.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users