Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Power On At All

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

For some odd reason, my computer will now no longer power on at all. When I push the power button, the motherboard beeps once and nothing turns on but the power led; not the fans or lights. This began to happen just today. For the last few weeks, my computer has been auto-shutting down because it gets hotter than the failsafe temp I have set in my BIOS. Today, I was on it for 15 min when it auto shut down again. I tried to boot it when the above happened. However, I was still able to boot it after a few tries. It then shut down again and then it wouldn't come back on.

I have tried everything I can think of. I unplugged all of the power cables and re-plugged them in. I pulled out the RAM and video card and put them back in. I tried a new power cord. I cannot figure out what the problem. I wanted to test different components so I could see what the problem is, but I unfortuneately don't have any extra parts to test it with. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem is. Is one of my parts fried? Or, is there some easy solution I don't know of or can't figure out? Any help would be greatly apprectiated!

By the way, I have a GeForce 6800, a GB of RAM, 200 GB hard drive, and am running a duel boot with Windows Vista and Windows XP.
My motherboard is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813185057
Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

Sounds like it's overheating to me. Which failsafe temp is it reacting to? If it is overheating, then letting it sit for a while should enable you to reboot (once it's cooled enough).

If this is the problem, then you'll have to check to see what's generating the heat and fix that issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

I left it off for almost 12 hours, and it still wouldn't do anything. I even tried applying new heatsink to my CPU. No luck.

Failsafe is set to 70 C at the moment.

Edited by wemibelec90, 12 May 2007 - 10:48 AM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

:thumbsup: Your processor may be dead.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

How can I tell what's dead? I only have enough money to buy one part and I want to make sure it is the right part.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

When the computer turns on does it get to the post screen? If it does look in the lower right corner and write down the post check code. If it doesn't get that far.. and its a single beep AMI website states its a memory problem. If you have 2 Dimms of memory try one at a time. If you only have 1 you will need to replace it. This is only a suggestion the best solution would be to try different known good memory. Without that option you may be left buying new and it may solve your problem.. With a computer overheating it may have taken out more then one component. You may be best served taking it to a repair shop where then can test components and replace the bad one. It may be cheaper then buying memory and finding out your processor was the culprit or is faulty too.

Edit: if you can get the post check code post it here and I can look it up

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 May 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

When I turn on my computer, the only light that turns on is my power/reset led. Also, the computer emits one short beeps. Nothing at all appears on the screen, and nothing else in the PC turns on at all; no fans, hard drive, video card fan, etc.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

Do you have 2 dimms of memory? What about a friend with a similar computer where you could test components

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

well, for one thing that I think is, PC Chips is not a very good motherboard manufacture, and second, make sure the Pins for the power reset, HDD led, and Power LED are all correct, I once had the most trouble with pins because one little pin was off, it was keeping the whole system from booting.

Josht

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

I noticed that newegg didn't have the greatest reviews on that board. but lets hope we can get this one going

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

Try this hardware stripdown procedure to see what the issue is: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

Sneakycyber: I have only one stick of RAM. And the only friend I have will not let me try his parts because he is afraid I will fry them. Anyone know if anything might happen to his stuff if I could use it?

JoshT: I don't know what you mean about the pins. Could you give me a guide on how to check this?

usasma: I cannot get my computer to do anything at all. Nothing comes on the screen and nothing boots up. So, I can't try that guide you posted.

#13 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/...tailName=Manual

There's the manual, you need to find the page where it tells you how to set the pins.

#14 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

No luck. Pretty sure something has fried, either the CPU or the motherboard. Now, I just have to find out what so I can fix it...

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

If your friend has the same type of memory try yours in his computer. If its bad all it will do is not post. If it works you have narrowed down your problem to either a MB or processor.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users