Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual View Monitors. . .

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Got a quick question for you dual monitor people. I've got my primary monitor, a samsung syncmaster, and an hdtv, also a samsung. Is it possible to display the same thing on both (like clone), but have different resolutions for both, so it fits? I have them both hooked up to an nvidia 7600.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

You should be able to. I've done two monitors (with a crappier graphics's card too) with one screen at 1024x768 and the other at 800x600. I could take things from each monitor to the other fine. One tip I might add, if you have an internet explorer opened and want to put it on the other screen you have to restore it down to smaller. Then if you put it on the other screen and click maximize, it will fill into that screen. Hope this was helpful!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

Works for me. I have 1024x768 on my monitor and 800x600 on my Tv for playing Monopoly. Using a Radeon 9200

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

Hmmm, alright. You have any idea how I would go about doing this? Remember, I want to have the exact same thing on either monitor at all times, not two different desktops. Any programs I have to get? All I've got right now are the stock nvidia drivers.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:53 AM

I believe that the nVidia Control Panel has the option to do this as long as your system supports it.

Edited by usasma, 12 May 2007 - 06:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

Right click on your desk top and click properties, then go to the settings tab. there should be two monitors marked with a one and a two. Monitor 1 is you primary monitor where the start bar, menu and where new programs will originally appear. Monitor 2 is your secondary monitor which is the one you want to change. Highlight the number 2 monitor and move the slider to the appropriate screen resolution. Then check the box that says extend my desktop to this monitor. Open a program and drag it to the other monitor. If your monitor sits on the right of your primary you wont need to change anything. If its somewhere else like to the right or on top you can drag the number 2 in settings and move it to where the actual monitor is situated. Then you drag programs to the side that the monitor is sitting. It will disappear from your main monitor and appear on your secondary.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the help so far, but I don't think you guys get what I'm saying. I have one monitor at the my computer, and the other is across the room. I use clone, because I can't see what I'm doing on the tv across the room. Imagine it's for presentations or something. I want people to be able to see exactly what I'm doing, but clone only seems to let me use one resolution for both, so I end up with one of the screens not scaled right for the other to look decent. See what I mean?

Posted Image

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

Ahhh Ok now I understand let me research it :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

So far, I've seen it as impossible, but maybe I can use some 3rd party software to help (ultramon?). Also saw this. . .But don't see how it would work.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=12901

Go down to where the guy says he has the solution to everyones problem.

Posted Image

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

Got it you can use UltraMon it will allow you to mirror your main display to a secondary and set the resolutions independently. I don't know much about this program as I just Googled and found out about it. You can get a free trial version and see if it meets your needs. Hope this works :thumbsup:

Edit: lol you were typing at the same time I was

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 May 2007 - 11:15 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

I am trying to set up ultramon ATM I will see if it works

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

It works. I have a mirrored image of my monitor set at 1024x768 on my 27inch Tv set at 800x600. This program has some really cool features. I may end up buying it :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#13 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

Yeah I've got it mostly working (on trial). Some real nice features indeed there. I can't seem to get it configured PERFECTLY though. But, I may just suck it up and buy it, as it's the best system I've used. One complaint though. I can't seem to force a higher refresh rate to the tv (which is a 1080p hdtv), so unless I use 702p res, I get crazy flickering. Now, I would just use 720p, but for some odd reason it cuts off a bit of the screen around the edges. *sob* :thumbsup:

1080 seems works great (as in it all actually fits), but it seems to only come in the interlaced variety, so crazy flickering there as well. If I could only run 1080p with it. . .=(

Another thing: it doesn't work at all for graphic intensive things at all, even as much as playing a dvd. For that I guess I'll just write a batch or something, because the stock nvidia drivers have a nice full screen video option which works perfectly if I have signal type set to 1080p. Whatever. At least it works.

Thanks for all help, and if you've got anything to add, please do!

Posted Image

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

What type of cable are you using to connect to your HDTV. IMO HDMI would be the best but the graphics card doesn't support that yet. DVI would be the next best. But depending on how far the tv is that could get expensive. The type of cable you use could deteriorate the signal in HD and give you the screen problems. This is just speculation as I haven't researched cable differences and their limitations.

Chad Mockensturm 

#15 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

I use a dvi -> hdmi cable (since hdmi is just dvi with audio added on, i use a regular 3.5mm -> 2 rca white + red for audio), which gives me no problems surprisingly. It is running 50 feet, but it's a nice cable. I know this because just upping the refresh rate fixes the problem immediately, or just changing the signal to progressive scan.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users