Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking With Two Routers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

I got one wired router connected to the modem and a bunch of computers. It is also connected to a wireless router which is connected to a couple of wireless computers. They all get on the internet fine, but the wireless computers can't get to files shared on one of the wired computers, even though it can ping it fine. What may I have setup wrong this time?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

Are the wireless computers in the same workgroup? Have you enabled file and printer sharing on the pc's hosting the files? Is NetBIOS enabled?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

Have you turned off the dhcp server feature in the wireless router? I am assuming the setup is:

Internet
^
Wired
router----> wirelessrouter---->wireless computers
|
|
|---> wired computers

There are two ways: remove the wired router, use the wireless only, if it does not support dhcp disable or disable the dhcp in the wireless router.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

Modem
  I
Wired Router - - - - - - - - Wireless Router
  I							  S
  I - - Computer A			   S ~ ~ Computer D
  I - - Computer B			   S ~ ~ Computer E
  I - - Computer C (Filehost)
Legend:
I - wired connection
S ~ wireless connection.

Computers A, B and C can connect to each other fine. D or E can ping them, but can't see the files being shared. File sharing is on and working between A, B and C. DHCP in the wireless disabled.The normal router is much more powerful than the wireless, which is why I'm keeping it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

check the subnet mask you should be at 255.255.255.0 on both routers. also, make sure that lanman hosts lookup is enabled on the two wireless computers. also, make sure that netbios over tcpip is automatic.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

Do you get an access denied error when trying to connect? If so, try "mirroring" accounts to gain access (exact same account name and password on each system).

This trick works because file sharing on workgroups usually uses the Guest account permissions - and if the file is located somewhere the Guest account can't access, you'll get the access denied error.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Now it is working, and I have no idea what I did. I was just poking around with all kinds of settings and something fixed it.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

"Nothing succeeds like success!" :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

Great! or as USAMA might think "WTFO"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users