Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Most Beautiful Sunsets In The World

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VeraLenora

VeraLenora

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

Just joined Bleeping Computer, site was recommended by TechGuys.com for security help. If you haven't visited TechGuys, I recommend it. Patient, friendly, smart help, and they're not shy about saying some other site has more / better information on a topic. People that will do that have my highest respect.

After hearing techies insult Norton for years, I finally decided to try some other things. So I removed Norton (using their removal tool), and am now working my way down one of TechGuys list: freeware to avoid, make sure I have all Windows [I have XP] security updates, Microsoft Java VM up to date, set IE options / security as they recommend, Javacool's Spyware Blaster, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Spyware Guard, and an IE-spyad site list from this site ... which I can't figure out yet. But I'm working on it. When finished, TechGuys recommendd running Jason Levine's Browser Security Tests.

TechGuys have several security lists by different people, and that's just the first one.

Sunsets? I live near Ludington, Michigan on the east coast of Lake Michigan. Many travel magazines rate the sunsets here as the best (or second best) in the world. We also have huge sugar sand beaches, some busy, some with no one else for miles, lots of tourist stuff that's fortunately not horribly commercial. Land is cheap, taxes are low (though Michiganders scream, I moved here from Iowa and taxes in Michigan are about 30% lower), and Michigan is courting new businesses as our economy is in the dumpster ... took people here a LONG time to realize the automotive industry wasn't going to keep Michigan rich forever.

I inherited the family farm here, retired, and spend most of my time on computer, or upgrading / repairing property.

My grandparents only son was killed in WWII, and they never fully recovered from their grief. The farm was kept up "on the surface" but nothing was upgraded for about 60 years, 'til I inherited it from my mother and started pouring money out. Local farmer farms about 15 acres, about 20 is in red pine wood lot, spring and stream in woods -- lots of wildlife.

Anyone else with a small family farm? Acreage to keep up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

Alot of information about your self. Hope the farm works out for you.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

:flowers: hi veralenora
welcome to bc hope you enjoy your time spent here on this gret forum :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Welcome to the BC VeraLenora!

In the early mid '50's I lived in Manistee just to the north of you.
My family rented a house on a small tomato farm just on the outskirts of the town.
They earned rent credit by helping out there as they were able to do so.

We fished the breakwaters for perch often in Manistee - when the fish were safe to eat.
We traveled down to Sable Point to fish also. A weekend's adventure.

I'm also the family custodian now of a small farm in eastern WVa.
Simply trying to keep it out of the clutches of State and Federal land seizure.
It's not actively farmed except for some annual hardwood timber sales to pay taxes, etc.

I invite you to peruse the BC - maybe starting with our New User Orientation forum.

Regards,
KoanYorel
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users