Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Error?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hey there. Recently, when i've tried to insert a blank CD/R to burn files, the drive repeatedly tries to read the disk, but as it is blank, will not succeed. For example, when im prompted to insert a blank cd for burning it says there is no CD in drive E and as i have two drives i also tried it with drive D but same problem. Also the icon keeps appearing on the cursor to say that its reading a CD but apparently it's not.

Help appreciated
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

The problem is still persisting, it seems that everything slows down due to the drive trying to read the Cd.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

How old are the drives? Whats the specifications on your computer?

Sorry for the wait.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

See if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot common problems that may occur when a Windows XP-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD
How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD -ROM Read Issues
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Sorry for my innactiveness.

I was told by a friend it is because of the autoplay function but i have changed the options so that it takes no action, yet it still tries to read the disk. I have tried burning music files to it when it eventually stops reading but it says 'the CD/R drive is in use' although when i click burn files it says 'please insert a blank CD/R or CD/Rw and i have tried many different brands of blank Cd's to be given the same response.
The drives are fairly old but apparently are up to date, update wise.

Thanks,
Luke.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

Have you looked at the 2 articles I linked to?
Have you tried going into the Device Manager, uninstall the player, reboot, and let windows reinstall it?
Have you gone to the manufacturers website, and updated to the latest drivers for that drive?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users