Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Will Not Start .......

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 welshphil

welshphil

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

Hi there, I'm experiencing a problem with my xp home package. When I start my pc the windows logo appears and seems to be loading as normal but then I get this page appearing....

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files, and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you are not sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight to your choice.

When I choose the last known good configuration option it returns to this page again! If I try to start in safe mode I get a screen of text and it just freezes.........

Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

What type of computer do you have? Does it have a built-in recovery partition? Do you have an XP CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

My pc is a fjitsu siemens, I have no idea about the recovery partition and I do have an xp cd.

Phil

#4 mdsmeck

mdsmeck

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

Good Morning Phil...

I went thru somethinhg similar the lasat couple of days...

See My Topic

Mike...

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

Ok, try this. Boot your computer from the CD and access the recovery console.

To do this insert the Windows XP CD, and then restart the computer. If you are prompted, select any options that are required to start from the CD.

When the text-based part of the Setup program starts, follow the instructions that appear on your screen. To select the repair or recover option, press R.

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.

At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER (there is a space between c and /).

After it finishes take out the CD and reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:39 AM

Many thanks for the replies, I have followed the procedure mentioned but I can't remember the administrator password (very stupid I know!!). Is there any way around this?

This is probably a stupid question but I have aquired a geniune windows xp professional cd, if I installed this would it automatically repair the problem without me losing all the data I have on my PC ??

Thank you for your patience......

Phil

#7 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

bump

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

There may not be an Administrator password. Have you tried just hitting the enter key for the password?

In addition, I seem to remember that there was a bug that prevented getting in without a non-existent password. Is your XP CD an original one, or one that has Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2? There was a bug fixed in SP 1.

If there actually was a password, and you've forgotten it, there are ways around it, usually requiring you to purchase a program that is basically a Linux boot disk with password-changing software built in.

#9 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

my windows software was pre-installed when I bought the PC and is version SP1a. I've tried hitting enter when asked for admin password but it asks me for a prompt command.

What about installing the XP Professional disk - would that work??

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

The XP Pro would likely work, but you'd still need the password. I'd suggest rescuing your data with a Linux or PE mode boot CD, then using the XP Pro CD to reformat and start over.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

I have encountered a few Fujitsu laptops, if I remember correctly, you will have to hit the {F12} key and then select the restore/recovery partition, if this computer has one. The recovery gives you an option to format or just to re install.

Also, the Ultimate boot cd has an offline NT password editor on it. this is free.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Edited by oldf@rt, 12 May 2007 - 06:10 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 mszaw

mszaw

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

This is what is happening to my computer as well. However, it wont read either of my XP CD's (I have PRO and Home) because they are burned. It will read from my Windows 98 CD (oh goodie..) but it freezes during the blue-screen windows set-up process a few clicks in, and then restarts, leading me right back to the same problem. Is it a sign that the hard drive is failing?

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

It could be a hard drive failure. Do you know what type of hard drive you have? If you go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive you should be able to download a diagnostic test to check the status of the drive. It should be a bootable CD so it doesn't matter that your Windows won't start.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users