Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Access But No Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dinamit04

Dinamit04

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:55 AM

hello,
when i try to connect my laptop to the wireless modem/router using wireless, i cant connect to the internet, i only have local access but not internet access. When i use the ethernet cable, everything seems to work fine and connect to the internet easily but its the wireless i cant connect with to the internet. Can someone please help me?, i cant seem to find the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

What sort of "local" access do you have? Is your router Vista capable? Have you tried disabling IPv6 and the DHCP broadcast flag? Have you connected to the Network through the wireless icon in the system tray? Is there any other wireless software in use (Broadcom is the the most common one that I've seen). So, what make and model of laptop is it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

Are you using Vista or XP?
Have you tried going through the Wireless network wizard icon in the Control Panel?

Edited by uhaligani, 12 May 2007 - 07:28 AM.

#4 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:25 AM

I had a similar problem. My File and Print sharing worked with all my computers but no intenet.
I fixed it by accessing my routers settings and selecting clone DNS. your firewall should open the
proper ports once you reboot.

Edited by emucade, 13 May 2007 - 01:27 AM.

" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#5 JohnTheLegend

JohnTheLegend

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

I had a similar problem. My File and Print sharing worked with all my computers but no intenet.
I fixed it by accessing my routers settings and selecting clone DNS. your firewall should open the
proper ports once you reboot.

I am having the same problem but only when I am using other networks, not my home network.

When I am at my favorite restaurant working on my 1 month old Gateway Laptop using Vista

About the laptop:
Core2 Duo T5200 @ 1.6 ghz
2 gb ram
140 gig hd

Most common problem is while I am working on spreadsheets in Excel and listening to music via Rhapsody. It all works fine for a while, maybe 10 minutes, maybe an hour, then I suddenly only have access to local network, not internet. The restaurant owner gave me the network password and I have no interest in poking about their network, I just want internet. When I use the wizard to solve the problem it comes up dry and says for me to speak to the network admin. I haven't had this problem at home.

The other day I couldn't even get internet at all, this was the first incidence of that happening.

Since then I have downloaded Registry Fix and it discovered 140 errors and fixed them, I haven't been back to the restaurant to test this out yet.

Anybody?

#6 seamom

seamom

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

I'm haveing the same problem. when click diagnos the problem it came up possably low signal. and gave me a link to a help topic that suggests changing the wireless chanel. I am trying that I'll let you know mif it works for me.

Some of the thing you have metioned are a bit more tech then I've figured out.
Any other ideas I'm willing to give a try I'll keep checking for other ideas.

#7 seamom

seamom

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

I chanced to channel 7 (2442 MHz). I haven't lost connection yet. :huh:
It's worked for me. maybe it'll help you too. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users