Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Northwood Cpus And Memory Pc#s

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:58 AM

I searched for any info anout the CPUs amd Memory but found only a little about it. First, I am lookning to upgrade the processor in my machine. Dell list I can go up to a Pent. P4 2.4G. I currently have a P4 1.7G. On a 478 socket/ZIF connector. In my searches, I found the FSB of the 2.20 and 2.4s to be higher than what I have in there in the 1.7 CPU. Is this going to have any problems if I get a 2.4 that has a FSB value higher? And what is a Northwood processor? Can I use this type or are they specifically designed for a special mobo? Next, I was reading about memory. I have a 1G capacity and I have 2 slots. I have 2 512s and am maxed out there. But I did the Crutial scan and found this. I have PC 2700 and it says I can use PC2700 or PC3200. What is the diff. in these and will I get some better performance if I go with the PC3200? When I got this machine it had 1 small memory card. I upgraded a 512 to the other slot and later did another 512. But I wasnt aware of the PC#s at that time and picked up what the store gave me. I noticed alot better perf of course. But could I get even more perf with going to the PC3200? THX in advance =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:16 AM

The difference between 2700 and 3200 is not enough to worry about, as most dells will time the ram to the correct speed to match the mainboard. use your service tag to look up your machine at dell, then you can find out what fsb speed you use. I presently have one dell, 400mhz fsb, with a 2.4 ghz non hyperthreaded P4 processor, upgraded from a 1.4 ghz celeron. this is a dell 4550. you should match the processor external to the fsb speed. 400 to a processor that supports 400 fsb, etc when you get your fsb also check to see if the mainboard supports hyperthreading.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

I had no luck finding the ID tag/Svc tag. It isnt on the side or anywhere else. I couldnt get it up on the properties as found in the DellForum. Ive had a new OS since and it doesnt show up is the OS has been changed. I know its definately not hyperthread capable. So I am not sure where to start on my cPU search. I know it has a 478pin ZIF connector. I have a 1.7 that runs at 1.69. and I want a 2.0, 2.20 or a 2.4 CPU P4 to replace it with. These are the biggest suposedly availible for my machine. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/ is the info on what I have if its of any help. BTW, what is a 'northwood'? THX fot the advice =)

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

Northwood was intels code name for the processor series when it was in development.

If you go into the bios it should have an area that lists the service tag number. you will have to search ebay like I did to find the correct processor make sure you dont select the laptop series processor.

here is a link to an example that you can use in your search of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/P4-2-0-GHz-Socket-478-...1QQcmdZViewItem

#5 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:39 PM

OK thanks. Some say Northwood and ive seen post where some people specify them. I just didnt know if there was a certain reasoning for it. Ive had an eye out on E-Bay for them but was waiting to educate myself B4 purchase. I had a link to a place that had new ones...maybe it was a link off of pricewatch.com...I think that was it. They were under $100. I guess my only concern looking at the specs is the FSB rating? Ill try to go into BIOS and find out that. THX and any more input is welcome =)

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

When you go into the bios, get the service tag number. The dell bios is always {F2} when the splash screen is up. You can also hit {F12} and select setup or boot from CD, etc. If you look up your machine by service tag number the results will be specific to your machine. Then the spec listing will have your correct FSB and processor support. If you go here there is an option on the page to lookup the service tag.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

If Dell says that the system will accept a socket 478 P4 at 2.4 gHz - I'd say that was a fairly good recommendation. Any bus speed adjustments will be automatic and transparent for you (except maybe the first boot, where it "may" ask you to confirm the change in CPU's).

As for the RAM - you won't notice any difference between the 2 speeds. The performance increase should only be noticeable if you're overclocking the RAM.

Matching RAM sticks is only important if you're using DDR2 RAM - and even then it's not required.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:59 AM

Cool...Ill check it today on a reboot. =)

#9 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

OK...I entered F2 setup and saw this. BIOS type is A05, Processor is P4 1.7G, FSB is 400MHz, Cache RAM is 256K, Got the svc.tag number and Memory is 2x512 DDR266 which totals 1024. Looking up at DELL, Processor is original, part#1K670 and man # 80531. Processor disciption says 400FSB, SocketN, D0...not sure about all that info and what it means. I really need to know if a higher FSB CPU will work like the 2.20 and 2.4s seem to be higher. THX for the help. Im going to try to futher my research on the models and motherboard to see if theres any info there about it. If you guys find out anything new with this info I would really appreciate it. Oh, motherboard part# is 6P708 if needed. THX for the courtesy, Michel

#10 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Found this reply on the Dell forum --> http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...p;cs=&s=gen <--looks like I need to stay with a 400FSB. The last reply guy said he has a 2.8 but its got a 400FSB speed looks to me. So I guess I need to find a matching FSB for my motherboard limits. Also I noticed the last guy was running A06 BIOS abd mine is A05....what does that have to do with anything? THX

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

If you want to go with a faster FSB there are socket 478 motherboards with FSB 400/800. They will support your current memory and processor as well as being able to upgrade to the fastest socket 478 processors available. I am currently using a Biostar P4M80-M4 With Celeron 2.7ghz and DDR 266 ram. The Celeron is FSB 400, The board supports it and it was backwards compatible with my slower memory timings. (its supports DDR 400).

Edit: spelling

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 May 2007 - 11:40 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

Use the service tag to look up all the downloads for your machine, if your machine needs the new BIOS it will be listed.

#13 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

On the Dell forum, many suggest not to fart with updating BIOS unless you absolutely need to. Could have issues. I found out the chipsets are the main determining factor. One is a 800, 850 and 850E. Suposedly if you have a 850E, you can run a 533MHz+ FSB and a 850 or 800 is limited to a 400MHz. Apparently mine is a 850 chipset. Thee is suposedly a way to tell by looking at it, but requires removing the heatsink. I proabably could accomplish this alright...Ive done all other upgrades myself and pulled the CPU heatsink the other day to check out how easy the CPU replacement could be. But I just am OK with using a 400FSB processor since I found a 2.4 P4 with this rating. There are a few at STARMICRO.Net for reasonable $. Around and under $100. If someone has dealt with them and they are recommended, I would listen to your input of Pros and Cons. Heres what they have : http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=542 and http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=115 and http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=113 and http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=110 and http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=108 These are what I found with the 400FSB, of course larger than my 1.7 and reasonably priced. If anyone sees a problem with one or any of these, please fill me in so I get the right one. Id like to keep it under or at $100 range. But also get the most bang for the buck. As well as have no problems. Is there anything TEMP wise I should be aware of? My PC has the one fan on the back which is a replacement by MadDog # MD-TTF-9025A-2B and is a 90mmx25mm 60CFM unit. Its got the Dell scoop/deflector to the Dell heatsink. Do I need one of those CPU heatsink/fan assemblys and get rid of the scoop and leave the MadDog fan, or leave it be? Ive just seen many people use multiple pull and push fans on their machines. This Dell is pretty limited in places for anything additional. I appreciate your time and help greatly!!! THX, Michel

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

The dell I have has the same scoop setup works just fine with the 2.4, heat is well within specs. Make sure to use new thermal compound, I would go with this 2.4 http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=110

I dont think that anything beyond the thermal compound and cpu it self would be needed.

#15 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Cool.....THX OF! As soon as I get ready to do the swap, Ill order it up. I appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users