Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Info About Self-defense, Please ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

Wonder if anyone would be kind enough to assist me with some information, please.

Years ago I read about a type of 'asian fighting' that concentrated on 'pressure points' to disable an attacker and can't remember what it was.

I have a precious young friend that has been attacked by Rheumatoid Arthritis and physical exercise, etc is now impossible - and running, if a threat looms, is literally impossible too. So studying this method of defense would perhaps be ideal for her.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Are you referring to Dim Mak?
The Science Behind Dim Mak
From Wikipedia
Learn the Secrets of Dim Mak Pressure Points for self defence and healing
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

Sorry to hear about this. First I would look into local Collages and YWCA's (possibly local law enforcement )for womens self defense classes and talk to the instructors about special needs training for your friend ,pressure points work and are part of lots a different martial arts. but what ever the course, PRACTICE will be the key to success .While tapes and such will be helpful you need a "live dummy" to know if what your practicing really works . When attacked within that crucial first second you need to go from scared victim to the Terminator instantly . (a nice trick if you can do it ) being prepared , posture and attitude play a part in whether you look like a easy target as well . most people shy away from whats really effective in a confrontation because they see it as "too gross" , you have fingernails on your hands (at least most women do :flowers: ) I've told a few female friends if they're "up close and personal " with an attacker that their thumbs will go fairly easy in to their attackers eye sockets and will definitely cause the attacker to reassess their thinking .
google shows "about 1,780,000 " hits "for self+defense+pressure+points." (I didn't look at them all :thumbsup: ) but like these first few
http://www.hubbardtwppd.org/selfdefense/pressurepoints.htm
http://www.ryukyu-kyusho.com/wppsdo.htm
Kubotas work pretty well with a little training I hear , this is what they look like
http://www.selfdefenseweapons.com/kubotans.htm
plus you have Pepper spray and "Walking Sticks", depending on your local laws

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

Thanks so much to both of you, no one and tg1911 - truly do appreciate your kindless and help! First thing tomorrow morning I'll be off to follow through on the links provided and equally important, shall also buy 'pepper spray' for her (and perhaps myself!). Honestly don't know if it's legal here or not - but then again, attacking people isn't legal either so this would surely be a case of '2 wrongs making a right' if it holds off an attacker long enough to escape (or long enough to use the fingernails - eep but understandable!).

Thank you, thank you!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users