Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Many Problems To List

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dustee

dustee

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

This am, my computer restarted itself...when I looked at the screen it was a blue CHKDSK screen. When I allowed it to scan the disk it got to 100% and then a blue screen appeared and stated "A problem is...." couldnt read the rest the computer restarted and got to the CHKDSK screen and started all over again...same thing.

I hit a key and didnt let it finish.

When I went to check my email, I cannot delete any emails from my inbox. There is nothing showing in my deleted file. I did a search for Deleted Items.dbx and nothing was found.

I am at a loss at what to do.

I have Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Laurie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

... That's strange... I don't have a solution for you, but I recommend that you back up your critical files to an external storage medium in case you have to format your C: drive or your computer goes kaput.

#3 dustee

dustee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:47 AM

My windows XP will not start....it loads then goes to the CHKDSK screen and scans the c: drive and then goes to a blue screen that states a problem (however, goes off the screen too fast to read) and then restarts.

The only way to load the computer completely is to skip the CHKDSK.

Laurie

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:38 AM

This is likely to be a problem with your hard drive, but it's also possible that it's a virus infection.

As madman6510 suggests, backup your data first! Skip the disk check and once in Windows start the backup immediately. Save what you can.

Then, download a free utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive to test your hard drive and let us know the results.

Then, run a couple of these free online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Edited by usasma, 11 May 2007 - 06:39 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dustee

dustee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

I went on the dell website and followed their directions to check my hard drive but when i hit F12 at the Dell screen it says keyboard error and will not do anything after that.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks...Laurie

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

If the Dell utility won't work, then you'll have to crack open your case to see what kind of hard drive you have (the manufacturer's name). Then go to their website and download a bootable diagnostic utility.

Burn the ISO image to a CD (using an ISO burner - not a regular CD burning program). Boot from the CD and let the test run to see if your hard drive is bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dustee

dustee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Okay, I went online and found a program called HDDSCAN for Windows2k/XP.

I ran the program and this is the report at the end....

Drive testing
Model : HDS722516VLAT20
Firmware : V34O
Serial :
LBA : 321672961
Start LBA : 0
End LBA : 321672961
Block size : 256

Block start at 9584640 time 62ms
Block start at 318074880 time 63ms
Bad block found, start LBA : 321672704

Test time : 01:05:08
Complete

I am not looking too exited about the Bad Block found....please advise.

Laurie

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

If the Dell utility won't work, then you'll have to crack open your case to see what kind of hard drive you have (the manufacturer's name). Then go to their website and download a bootable diagnostic utility.

Burn the ISO image to a CD (using an ISO burner - not a regular CD burning program). Boot from the CD and let the test run to see if your hard drive is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users