Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

hi.my mum has 512 ddr pc3200 ram in her pc.i have been given 256 pc2700. my two questions are does it matter that there not the same speed and does it matter that there not the same size.ie mb's. i have heard that ddr likes to be installed in pairs!

hope that makes sense :thumbsup:

cheers arny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Arny

Unless the board needs dual channel ram, you dont need to install in pairs.

PC2700 and PC 3200 DDR support different timing. CAS 2.5 vs CAS 3.0. If the board supports both speeds, you can install the mismatched speeds, and the board will time to the higher CAS of 3.0. What system do you have?

Edited by oldf@rt, 10 May 2007 - 09:11 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

hi oldf@rt

.i dont know the specifics of the pc i just know that its got pc3200 already.i can swap out this 2700 for a 3200 256mb stick.was just wondering wether it should have another 512 or if 256 would be alright.its just to speed it up slightly cos xp needs 512 to operate properly doesn't it?!

cheers arny

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

I always go by whatever M$ says, multiply by four ie, 128 really means 512. You can try the PC 2700 along with the 3200, but without knowing the mainboard model, I have no way of telling if the ram should work. More is always better. I would swap to a 3200 Dimm. 256 more would be better, but if you can add 512 to the 512 already in the computer would be better.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

:thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

When mixing RAM of different speeds the modules will only run at the slowest module. If you mix PC3200 and PC2700 the RAM will only run as fast as the PC2700 module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:41 AM

It's likely that you won't notice the difference between PC3200 and PC2700. Also, while XP does run on 512 mB of RAM - over time it'll become "lodgy" and you'll need to clean it out. 768 mb or 1 gB will delay this point for quite a while.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users