Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Standby Immediately Followed By Restart

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pglucas

pglucas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

When my computer is set to Standby, it immediately restarts. If I restore to a prior time, it works for a while but then reverts to restart after standby. Could this be a virus that my virus scan has not caught?

Thanks - Removed member's email address

Edited by acklan, 10 May 2007 - 04:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:52 AM

Hi, I have this problem as well, i found if i put my pc on standby qickley it would re-start, if i loged off first it was ok, i also saw on a forum site the same prob & the reply was that some thing was still doing something on your pc, i found out it was the signal to my wireless keyboard & mouse that made mine re-start.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

Try updating your video drivers first - it's a 90% fix for Standby/Hibernation problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pglucas

pglucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

I disconnected everything wireless and still have the problem.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

Did you update your video driver?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 pglucas

pglucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:47 AM

After updating the video drivers, the problem persists.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

This is a poser! Try checking your Event Viewer for messages around the time of the shutdown/reboot. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

To view the messages, click on an entry in the left hand pane and look at the right hand pane for the information. Double clicking on and entry in the right hand pane will open up that particular message.

Do this for each of the entries in the left hand pane and let us know what you find. (FWIW - the most likely place for this will be in the System category or the Application category).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 pglucas

pglucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

As you said, only System and Applications had many items. Applications had mostly "Information."
Around the time the problem first occurred, System had the error message "CDrom0 has a bad block." This message appeared many times over several days and then stopped appearing.
Another error message around that time was "The netcard driver failed query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED."
I don't know just what to look for, but those messages seemed to be of the most interest. There were hundreds of other non-error messages that did not seem relevant.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

Try accessing your CD-ROM (with and without media in it), then check the Event Viewer for errors. The error could have been a bad CD, or it could be another problem.

Also, you may want to update your network drivers due to the error displayed about that.

#10 pglucas

pglucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

Network drivers have been updated and I did have a bad CD.

I have decided to use Hibernate instead of Standby and ignore the problem.

Thanks for your help.

pglucas

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Frankly, I prefer Hibernation to Standby - but a problem with one usually indicates a problem with the other.

The only other suggestions that I have are:

1) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
2) Do a repair install of Windows (it'll leave your programs and files intact) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users