Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Does Not Work In Windows Me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lmhjcr

lmhjcr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

I had some problems with my computer awhile ago which required me to take it in for service.

When I got my computer back the system restore feature no longer works. I went to the System Properties/Performance Tab; selected the File Systems and the troubleshooting tab to see if there was a check mark in the box to disable the system restore but there is none there.

I called the place that worked on my computer to ask them about that and they told me that they disabled it and that to have it re-enabled I was going to have to bring my system back in so that they could undo whatever it was that they did (and pay for it!!!). I asked them to please tell me what it was that they did to disable it but they would not. :flowers:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the system restore function back to working order?
I'm guessing that maybe they did something in the registry or something since it isn't disabled in a way so that I could re-enable it easily. I have been looking on the Microsoft website for some possible suggestion as to what it is that they did but have had no luck. :thumbsup:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Windows ME on a HP Pavilion 7865 Computer.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:59 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-millennium-system-restore/

Try doing the system restore disable/re-enable routine and see if that brings it back. IOW check disable System Restore, reboot, then re-enable it and reboot once more.

Edited by DaveM59, 10 May 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

More information for you.

System Restore on WinME can be troublesome. So much so that programs like this one were written.

Your uncooperative techs may have used this program, or one like it, to remove System Restore from your computer.

I run XP, but I have a WinME virtual machine (sort of a computer within the computer). I downloaded that program and installed it. Did not run it, but I read the help file.

If they "fixed" your SR with it, the only way to get it back is to do an "over-the-top" reinstall of Windows. This will not wipe out data or force you to reinstall all your programs, but it does require that you have your WinME installation CD.

If you have the CD and the product code (serial number), take a look here to see what's involved:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/articles/w...tallwindows.htm

This page explains how to do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows ME and other versions of Windows.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windowsme/...allme/page1.htm

This is the first page of a six-page guide. It gives a step by step description of the procedure, with screenshots. Look through the whole thing if you have never done a Windows installation before.

#4 lunglady1

lunglady1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:38 AM

:flowers: GO_BACK works better than system restore.
turn of sys. res. and install go back :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users