Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Undeletable Files - Waggoner41

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_waggoner41_*

Guest_waggoner41_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:38 AM

Seems like everyone is having more problems with undeletable files. There seem to be some characters used in filenames that Microsoft cannot get their system to recognize. It's similar to naming files in DOS systems using the alt key while typing a character to make files and directories invisible to other users. That particular character just disappeared.

I have 17 files in my temporary internet files directory that are over 1 Gig in size. Can't delete them, Microsoft can't interpret the file names to deal with them. They are spyware and created to be undeletable.

I do know that someone has a software created to deal with these off the wall file names and am in the process of searching out that application. Killbox wont cut it. If anyone has any information regarding such an application I would appreciate hearing from you.

//MOD Edit: This post split off from an old post so as to receive attention sooner//

Edited by KoanYorel, 16 January 2005 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:02 AM

Have you tried to delete these files in safe mode?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

waggoner41 :thumbsup: to BC.

Try using this program, it cleans up all your temp files. Because this will ask if you wish to shut down to clean the last few files still in your temp folder, it may work because it will be cleaning them up hopefully before they become active. If it doesn't you still haven't lost anything because this is one the best clean up utilities I have seen around and you can't beat the price. Go to options and make sure it is set to standard clean. Good luck.

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

Edited by Ronbo, 16 January 2005 - 02:30 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users