Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - Computer Freezing Due To Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hdefined

hdefined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

I am typing this from a different computer than the one that is giving me trouble. I suspect my troubled computer has a virus, but I am never able to do a complete scan as the computer freezes very quickly from the startup. As soon as it boots up, the heating fans go on and the computer's functions slow to a crawl, eventually to the point that nothing will work and everything freezes. How can I get it functioning to that point that I'm able to figure out what might be wrong with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hdefined

hdefined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Is there a safe mode in which to launch windows so that I can do a scan?

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

You did not say what anti-virus or anti-malware you are using for your scans. If you need some suggestions, see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps. In addition to your anti-virus you should do scans with SuperAntiSpyware, Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D.

Another one that I recommend for using in safe mode is Dr.Web CureIt. Follow the instructions here for performing a scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 hdefined

hdefined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

I'm sorry. For scans, I've tried using xoftspy, trend micro, and superantispyware, but few of the scans finish as the computer slows to the point of freezing. They pick up on lots of ads, but no viruses.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

XoftSpy is an program that was previously listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List because of concerns with false positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising. It has been been de-listed as a rogue because the vendor has taken some actions to correct these concerns. (scroll down and read the Note on this application). I am still skeptical and would only recommend a progam with a proven track record like those in the links I previously provided.

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users