Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nationwide Protest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

I am sure most of you have received this email. I am adamant though in getting this to as many people as possible. There are lots of things we can do and one way is if we stop buying gas and cause them to get a stockpile.

Passing it on, tell your friends....

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0509/p01s03-usec.html

-mails about the proposed boycott claim that after a similar "gas-out" in April 1997, the price of gasoline dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

There is no data supporting this claim, says Neil Gamson, an energy price analyst at the Energy Information Administration. From February to May of 1997 is "one of the most stable periods," he says.

Facts don't seem to matter to people calling for gas boycotts, says Barbara Mikkelson of Snopes.com, which debunks urban legends. She says the hottest topic on her site is people asking about the gas-out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18492185/

With gasoline prices topping $3 a gallon again, a number of readers, including Greg in Louisiana, are wondering about a proposed one-day "gas boycott" that has a goal of taking $2.3 billion in oil company profits. Aside from circulating some questionable math, organizers of this event stand exactly zero chance of having an impact on gas prices.

Also http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/fuelprotest.htm
http://www.nowpublic.com/4_gas_time_for_a_boycott
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

Thats why in my post I put that many people probably had received the email; however, I wanted to post it because unlike those views expressed in the links you provided, my opinion, is that we can impact the market if we don't buy the product.

Sure the numbers may be false or inaccurate but the supply and demand model has been in place for a long time. I would like to see more than a single day protest, but this is a start.

Thanks for pointing out that the email is a scam though, I was wondering. I forwarded it to alot of people, and alot of people that I forwarded it to sent it back to me, and if it is the hottest topic on snopes, then that means alot of people are interested. Also, those views that say that it wont impact the market are those of economists and they are like weathermen. I am sure most of them would have said the DOW wouldnt ever get over 13000 also.

I hope this "scam" works.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#4 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

Lol, sounds like fun. I'ma NOT going to buy gas. on may 15, well not that I have any money.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thats why in my post I put that many people probably had received the email; however, I wanted to post it because unlike those views expressed in the links you provided, my opinion, is that we can impact the market if we don't buy the product.

Sure the numbers may be false or inaccurate but the supply and demand model has been in place for a long time. I would like to see more than a single day protest, but this is a start.

Thanks for pointing out that the email is a scam though, I was wondering. I forwarded it to alot of people, and alot of people that I forwarded it to sent it back to me, and if it is the hottest topic on snopes, then that means alot of people are interested. Also, those views that say that it wont impact the market are those of economists and they are like weathermen. I am sure most of them would have said the DOW wouldnt ever get over 13000 also.

I hope this "scam" works.

How can it have an Impact if you dont buy it for 1 day.What's the difference.You are still going to use the Petrol. Filling up the day before or the day after would not have a big impact,I would think.
Now,if no one used any petrol on that day,then you would really affect the Oil Companies.IMO.
We all know that's not Practical.
Here today the price of Petrol on average is around 5 US Dollars a gallon.Converting Litres to Gallons and the Currency exchange rate.I live 20 mins from the largest Oil Refinery in Sydney,so we have got a valid reason to complain.We have our own Crude and are still getting ripped off.

#6 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

How can it have an Impact if you dont buy it for 1 day.What's the difference.You are still going to use the Petrol. Filling up the day before or the day after would not have a big impact,I would think.

And that is exactly what people do when these things get put into circulation. Now if people boycotted for a week, I can see it having an impact then. Thing is you will neverrrrr see that happen because some people need to fill up a couple times a week. I fill up about once every two weeks, but thats because I work from home. Even with boycotting for one week I still don't think it would have that huge of an impact to see substantially lower prices. Then again I could be wrong, but thats just my two cents on it. :thumbsup:

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

The intended effect of reducing oil prices, not to mention preserving what petrol supplies we have left in the world, would only work if and when consumers begin to practice real fuel economy, not just for a day or week, but for the entire future. If everyone would drive just 5 fewer miles a week, think of the cumulative force over time.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Paragraph 3 is right on target.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

These type things are so stupid its not even funny.

If people only knew that.....

A lot of the price of gas is taxes

Gas station owners only make a few cents a gallon

Think you can run a what 400 billion a year or a quarter biz. out in 1 day of not buying gas?

So you dont buy gas on one day you fill up the next day wow nothing gained.....

Want to make prices go down? Dont use gas. Fight for electric cars and put solar panels on your house(power is generated by things like fuel and coal) and once the demand is down the prices will drop.

Stop driving HUGE SUV's! Not only is the gas high but the taxes and the INSURANCE is way up their. I cant tell you how many times I have seen people driving huge SUV's and with one person in it and they complain about gas.

#10 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

A thousand mile walk, starts with one step.

I am sure some of the responses to this thread are simply people piping of their opinions and not even reading the full thread. There is also a difference between reading something and truly having a understanding of what you read.

Note, that I said there where numerous ways to effect the gas prices and this is one way.

CGM - To say that fighting for electric cars, and installing solar panels to cut down on the demand and then to say that this is stupid is a moronic statement and is counter conducive to your own point.

I agree that and have stated that there are other ways to effect the price of gas. I agree that one day would not suffice a result; however, as Queen-Evie pointed out it would need to be a conglomerated effort.

It is truly sad to hear people say something so elementary wont work and shows how the opinions of others that are told what to say have IMO brainwashed the masses to believe that as a reality.

Price per barrel was around $70 in April of 06 with a high of over $80 in August of 06 and we had a price per gallon at those highs of close to the same as they are now.

Can someone please give me some insight as to how the price per barrel can be at $60 now and we have an appx. price per gallon of $3.05 and last year the price per barrel was $80 and we had a price per gallon of $3.05.

It may be a waste of my time but I can assure you I wont be buying gas on 5/15/7

Edited by Bulldog, 11 May 2007 - 12:50 PM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

CGM - To say that fighting for electric cars, and installing solar panels to cut down on the demand and then to say that this is stupid is a moronic statement and is counter conducive to your own point.

Well I am confused...

Tell me how by not buying gas for one day you will make prices drop. Now I mean no offense if I was strong worded. Very sorry. What I mean to say is I cant understand how it will work.

You dont buy gas for one day and you fill up the next. So the effect would be 0% correct? Or you fill up before may 15th.

You wont be hurting the oil companies you will be hurting the gas station owners who live on the few pennies they make off of us.

I hope you understand where I am coming from now.

Can someone please give me some insight as to how the price per barrel can be at $60 now and we have an appx. price per gallon of $3.05 and last year the price per barrel was $80 and we had a price per gallon of $3.05.

Weird isnt it? Somebody is making a bit more this year.

We still have gas for 2.65 a gallon here in SC.

A lot to do with high gas prices I was told was about the war. And supply and demand.

So if we go off gas for a week what happens when the week is over? They drop. Okay so they drop then the demand with all the tanks empty is huge and then what happens to the gas prices? They go back up.

If we really want to cut the prices as a consumer we need to cut back on our fuel consumption.

#12 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

If you all really want lower gas prices, how about confronting your senators and legislators to remove the absurd tax that is imposed on gasoline. And in addition, stop letting the government regulate a BUSINESS.

Sometimes this country....ugh.

Edited by jwinathome, 11 May 2007 - 01:37 PM.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Well the taxes help pave the roads...

Today we had a guy from the state come mow the ditches around the roads. He drove up and slept in his truck for a hour my dad said and then he mowed a bit and then left for lunch and I dont even know if one road is done and its 3pm now.

I think like 40-55 cents a gallon is taxes and it varies by state.

#14 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:33 AM

Not buying gas for a day isnt going to scratch the surface of what those companys make. They wouldnt even notice probably. Think about it...if their profits for one day makes them 3,000,000,000$, what do they make a year? 3 Bil. x 365 days = 1,095,000,000,000$, which isnt even 1% of their profit. It will just make the gas stations lose money, and they will have to raise the price more to make up for it.

If people really wanted to do something about gas prices by boycotting gas, they need to focus on boycotting from ONE SPECIFIC COMPANY for a month or so. If one company starts to lose profits, they will have to lower prices. That will force other companies to lower prices to compete with them. Makes a little bit more sense.

But what people really need to do is forget about gas completely, and focus on hydrogen. It is a million times more safer then gas, and you really dont need all that fuel cell crap to make it work. Do your research, hydrogen is VERY SIMPLE and EASY TO MAKE, 99% of the crap they are trying to use along with it isnt nessecary. People can make hydrogen in thier own homes. Plus it basically is WATER so ITS TOTALLY FREE!!!!!!!! Definately a better way to go.

-Nick

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

But what people really need to do is forget about gas completely, and focus on hydrogen. It is a million times more safer then gas, and you really dont need all that fuel cell crap to make it work. Do your research, hydrogen is VERY SIMPLE and EASY TO MAKE, 99% of the crap they are trying to use along with it isnt nessecary. People can make hydrogen in thier own homes. Plus it basically is WATER so ITS TOTALLY FREE!!!!!!!!

Not so fast. Until you can make something that can pull it out of the air and use it like a engine uses gas and a tank(hydrogen would be pulled in from the air) its by no means free or efficient. It takes maybe the same amount of energy to make it as it does to use it.

Just what I seem to be reading....

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 14 May 2007 - 08:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users