Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space Is Disappearing.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 lgettis

lgettis

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

Hello,
At work I'm using a Dell Dimension 3000 system/ WIN XP Pro SP2. Just a few days ago I received a "low disk space" window showing I have less than 10 MB of HD space on a 35 GB HD. That's IMPOSSIBLE. I haven't used THAT much space. So, I figured I must have a computer virus but I don't know where or how to search to resolve this issue. I've uninstalled programs I don't use much, cleaned out my Outlook mailbox, and deleted temp files. A few weeks ago my computer started runnning real slow then I received a black screen stating "windows_root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt: Please re-install a copy of the above file." I did an Internet search and resolved that problem by rebuilding the boot.ini file. The PC worked fine for a few days then my HD space started to disappear. I can't run a virus scan because I don't have enough free space. Now I'm showing less than 10 MB of free space. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

lgettis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

Well, I'm now down to 0 bytes. I MUST have a virus. My C drive is being shared (which it wasn't before). I tried to un-share the C drive and I got an administrative share, blah, blah, blah. I then asked my supervisor about it and he said no my drive shouldn't be shared. He then suggested I just reformat the hard drive and reinstall WIN XP Pro.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

This is a work computer? :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

Try doing a search on the hard drive by date and find out what has been added in the past couple of days that is eating up all your space.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

Yes, it is a work computer and I have admin privleges. I will search the hard drive by date and see what I come up with. Thanks.

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

Can you slave the hard drive in another PC and run a virus scan from there? It may turn up viruses that like to hide themselves in files that are being used when the drive is a boot drive.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

I searched the hard drive but I don't know what I'm looking for? I will try to slave the HD to another PC and run a virus scan. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

Are there any other user profiles on the computer? Does anyone else have a sign in?

#9 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

No other users but me.

#10 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Well, I scanned the hard drive and no viruses were detected. Do you think I should just reinstall the OS?

#11 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

If you go to the Search feature Start > Search, and make sure C: is selected to search, then just hit the search button....arrange by file size...what are the files that seem to be hogging up the most space? Do you have a lot of emails or temp files?

#12 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

I did a seach of the C drive earlier. I deleted temp files and uninstalled programs that I wasn't using. I really feel its a virus.

#13 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Just a thought, check the task manager for a process called wnilogon.exe
DO NOT confuse this with winlogon.exe which is a legitimate windows process. I seem to recall another user having the same issue and this was the culprit.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#14 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

I did a search on the drive just now and I get this reply: "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format now? Yes or No."

#15 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

Just a thought, check the task manager for a process called wnilogon.exe
DO NOT confuse this with winlogon.exe which is a legitimate windows process. I seem to recall another user having the same issue and this was the culprit.

No luck. My drive is connected to another pc as a slave drive and I can't get view the task manager. I can't look at anything on the drive anymore because the drive now needs to be formatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users