Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Monitor Power Settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

I've got a laptop, and I always assumed I should have my power settings set to "Portable/Laptop", but I thought I read somewhere that suggested always using "Always On".

1. Does anyone know the differences between these two settings? (I know you can change sub-settings in each, but I also know that each has it's own SET/FIXED settings for when the fan turns on, etc.)

2. Which is the better and/or recommended one to actually use for a laptop?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:04 AM

Each laptop has different power settings as they come from the manufacturer. If you're just using the Windows settings (and not the added on manufacturer's stuff) you should be able to see exactly what it does in the Power applet of Control Panel.

Some things that can be affected by these settings are the screen brightness and the period before the screen goes into sleep mode. This'll serve to conserve your battery when it's not plugged in.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Each laptop has different power settings as they come from the manufacturer. If you're just using the Windows settings (and not the added on manufacturer's stuff) you should be able to see exactly what it does in the Power applet of Control Panel.

Some things that can be affected by these settings are the screen brightness and the period before the screen goes into sleep mode. This'll serve to conserve your battery when it's not plugged in.

Where is the added on manufacturer's stuff? I don't see that anywhere. I'd like to make sure I'm NOT using that stuff... :flowers:

I'm looking at the settings you see in the Power Options Properties box (which you can get to from Control Panel, like you said, as well as from Properties on the desktop, etc.).

But I'm not sure what you say is entirely accurate. I actually had my settings accidentally set to Desktop on my laptop without realizing it, and my fan was turning on and off every 40 seconds for about 20 seconds, continuously. I finally figured out what was causing that. However, I had not changed the settings that are listed below in the Power Options Properties box (i.e. Turn off Monitor, Turn off Hard Discs, System Standby) -- those were exactly the same. So there are properties that you can not change that are inherent in whatever setting you actually choose at the top (i.e. "Always On", "Portable/Laptop", "Desktop", etc.). This was also verified to my by someone as being true. And when I switched it back to Portable/Laptop, the fan-issue stopped.

So those options that they let you alter at the bottom are only *part* of the power scheme. There is a part that you can not alter. And that leads me back to my first question as to whether or not "Portable/Laptop" is better than "Always On" and what each has as their inherent/unchangeable settings. Know what I mean? Any thoughts?

And just FYI, for the settings that I can change, I have it set to the following:

Turn Off Monitor: After 15 minutes (plugged in); After 5 minutes (on battery)
Turn Off Hard Discs: After 1 hour (plugged in); After 3 minutes (on battery)
System Standby: Never (plugged in); After 10 minutes (on battery)

Seem okay? I believe the "on battery" settings" are the defaults for those categories for "Portable/Laptop".

Any further help is appreciated!

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

My guess would be that the fan settings are governed by the temperature of the CPU. If you have the power scheme set to desktop, the system will run as a desktop would but due to the smaller space in a laptop the CPU will tend to heat up faster causing the fan to run more often and for longer periods. By placing the system in Standby there is minimal processing being done thus reducing the need for the fan to come on. That being said, you probably can't do anythign about how often and how long the fan comes on within the power schemes utility.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

My guess would be that the fan settings are governed by the temperature of the CPU. If you have the power scheme set to desktop, the system will run as a desktop would but due to the smaller space in a laptop the CPU will tend to heat up faster causing the fan to run more often and for longer periods. By placing the system in Standby there is minimal processing being done thus reducing the need for the fan to come on. That being said, you probably can't do anythign about how often and how long the fan comes on within the power schemes utility.

That explanation seems to make sense, but I'm actually not trying to do anything within the power schemes. I was just wondering which is "better" for a laptop: Portable/Laptop or Always On -- and what the inherent (i.e. the ones you can't change) settings are for each. Obviously, Desktop isn't good, because the fan runs too often -- especially if it's a case of the CPU heating up faster at that setting.

Thanks for the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users