Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Service Pack Confusion.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zyao

zyao

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

I installed windows SP2 but it was making my computer run pretty slowly for some odd reason... I uninstalled SP2 but when I rolled back my system it was to a date that my computer still had SP2...as a result I don't actually have SP2 but my computer still seems to think I do.

Ever since that incident I've been having problems, for example my cpu usage shoots up to 100 randomly despite not doing anythign that should require 100 percent cpu usage. Also my IE crashes occasionally especially when on websites that require flash. At first I thought it might be due to undetected malware that coincidentally caused me to have to roll back my computer. I have submitted a Hijackthis log to the appropriate forum and I've been given an all clear. :thumbsup:

Anyone have any suggestions? :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

I see scattered posts over the BC forums with different problems. The first thing you should do is to get your Windows current by installing SP2; thereafter, if other problems persist, take these one at a time.
Since your computer has been certified as clean of malware, now would be a good time to install it. You could very easily disable System Restore (do this offline of course); note---this will delete all prior restore points so make this decision carefully. Then, as a precaution, run your AV and Anti-spyware applications once, make sure SP2 is fully deleted (add/remove programs) and defrag your computer. As soon as this is done, turn System Restore back on and set a manual restore point. You can then install SP2.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 May 2007 - 09:20 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 zyao

zyao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the fast response, problem is my computer seems to think I have service pack 2 and it wont let me reinstall SP2.

I'm not sure how to get rid of any remnants of SP2 =\
It is no longer shown in the add remove program list.

Regards, zyao.

Edited by zyao, 10 May 2007 - 10:07 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

I think the System Restore process should fix that. You might wait a while until other Members validate what I suggest.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 zyao

zyao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hi again, I ran msconfig the other day and noticed something very strange.

In the startup list of programs, there were a few that had no name (Under the column "startup item" it was left blank) and no command either that too was left blank.

There were two others that had a name that consisted of boxes [][][][]
and under command, that too showed up as [][][][].
I chose selective startup and disabled these programs from starting up.
But when I restart windows I get this message:

"Could not load or run [][][][][] specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry."

Windows runs fine but And the [][][][] program re-enabled itself or so it seems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users