Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Woes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Not sure if this is posted in the correct forum, but here goes anyway

Dell Dimension C521
AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+
512 mb, DDR2 SDRAM
WD SATA 800 gb Hard drive
Service tag: 7P6W9C1

System O/S is XP Home with SP2

This barebones system is about 6 months old, I upgraded the hard drive before placing it in service.
This upgrade has not been a problem, the system worked OK after this upgrade.

Been having internet connection problems, as well as Norton security issues. The free Norton program was loaded when setting up the system, it caused me problems by not allowing me to access the internet after it expired. I chose not to extend this service. It would not let me access the net without my Norton password, (which I forgot) and generally was a pain in the butt. Booted the system in safe mode and dumped Norton. I also suspected that the wireless networking system was a culprit in not allowing me to connect to the net, so I dumped this program as well.

After doing these two operations and rebooting the system in safe or normal modes, the USB mouse will not respond at all, neither will the USB keyboard either. However, when I access the bios, the keyboard commands works OK, leading me to believe that the USB connection is not the problem. Moving the mouse connector to other USB ports does nothing, it still will not respond. When I say the keyboard does not respond in Windows, none of the number lock or caps lock lights work.

I did not change any of the bios settings, I just reviewed them, BTW, USB bios settings are 'on'.

At this point I cannot even restore XP because the mouse will not respond, the arrow just sits there in the middle of the screen.

What did I do wrong??

Any help is much appreciated...........

:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:45 AM

I would start by running the sfc.exe utility. This should detect and correct any missing or corrupted XP files.

Edited by acklan, 10 May 2007 - 12:45 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:20 AM

I would start by running the sfc.exe utility. This should detect and correct any missing or corrupted XP files.

Sounds like a plan bud, trouble is though, how do i do this with a cursor that will not, well, scamper??
LOL, btw, Thanks for the rapid response..........much appreciated!
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

You fire fighters are all alike. Press the Windows key (You know between the Ctrl and Alt key) the the up arrow key three times, press enter. Type in sfc /scannow and press enter. You will need your XP CD.

BTW I just made 27 yrs on my Dept. :thumbsup:

Peace, Brother.

Edited by acklan, 10 May 2007 - 01:29 AM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Do you have a known good keyboard and mouse? That would be my first check. After that I would see if the possible bad keyboard and mouse work in the bios (F2 should get you in) Then see if the keyboard and mouse work in safe mode (F8) when the dell splash screen is up. If you can navigate the bios, the keyboard is ok. Then select F12 and boot the diagnostics partition. If the mouse works, it is good. You should be able to select the recovery partition with the {CTRL F11} keyboard combination.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Forgot to add this in the original post, mouse and keyboard inputs to this system are via USB only, yeah it's a "el cheapo" Dell.
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

The keyboard is down too? AAAHHHH!!!

#8 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:24 AM

You fire fighters are all alike. Press the Windows key (You know between the Ctrl and Alt key) the the up arrow key three times, press enter. Type in sfc /scannow and press enter. You will need your XP CD.

BTW I just made 27 yrs on my Dept. :flowers:

Peace, Brother.

Yups, you got that right bro, give something electronic or mechanical to a firefighter an he/she will think of somehow to break or mess it up !

Don't have the XP cd for this system, bought it like this, how do I get one?

Stay safe brother !

Aloha from Hawaii........
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:18 AM

It appears that the keyboard/mouse doesn't respond in Windows, but does respond in the BIOS (BTW - check for USB legacy settings in the BIOS and ensure that it's on).

I'd suggest a copy of the XP CD of the exact same type of disk (OEM vs Retail and SP0, SP1, SP1a, or SP2) in order to start repairing it. You'll have to boot from the CD and will need your Windows Product Key (you can find it once you get into Windows and use a free tool to extract it). You may be able to use almost any CD to start repairs - but you may get to a point where you'll need to enter the Product Key (and that's where it's essential to have the correct CD copied).

Finally, could your network problems be related to the networking issues that you've posted about over in the Vista forum?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

I'd suggest a copy of the XP CD of the exact same type of disk (OEM vs Retail and SP0, SP1, SP1a, or SP2) in order to start repairing it.

I would agree with you John except he has a Dell and you know how picky those Branded OEM Windows installs are.
John do you think he could utilize the recovery partition? Assuming this model has one?
Try downloading and using BartPE. Use it to delete your USB device from XP. When you reboot it should use the default USB drivers and prompt you for the OEM drivers. XP should be able to find them on it's own.
Contact Dell, and see if they will send you a copy of the Dell OEM XP CDs. Most manufactures only charge $20 to $30 shipping (A site cheaper that the full version) and will over night them to you.

#11 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

It appears that the keyboard/mouse doesn't respond in Windows, but does respond in the BIOS (BTW - check for USB legacy settings in the BIOS and ensure that it's on).

I'd suggest a copy of the XP CD of the exact same type of disk (OEM vs Retail and SP0, SP1, SP1a, or SP2) in order to start repairing it. You'll have to boot from the CD and will need your Windows Product Key (you can find it once you get into Windows and use a free tool to extract it). You may be able to use almost any CD to start repairs - but you may get to a point where you'll need to enter the Product Key (and that's where it's essential to have the correct CD copied).

Finally, could your network problems be related to the networking issues that you've posted about over in the Vista forum?

Aloha John,

Yes the USB controllers in the bios are enabled. Is it possible, with the way the system is operating now, to burn a copy of Windows?

This system was on a network (Netgear wireless router), it did have the software loaded, but I dumped it before I started having problems. Presently it is wired direct to my ClearWire modem, as well my new build that is running Vista Home Premium
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#12 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:39 AM

:flowers:

Finally got this situation figured out, found the OS and utilities CD's ok.
Dumped original XP setup, then reloaded, this went OK, except when I tried to download drivers.

Drivers CD that came with the system outdated, had to go to Dell's site to manually download latest drives onto a CD from my laptop, then run them on this Dell.

Works fine so far, inputs (mouse and k/board) are OK, as well being able to surf the net, don't know what I did to cause this problem, it works, thats all that matters, Thanks everone ! ! :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:27 AM

FWIW, I have noticed quite a few dells coming to my shop lately with corrupt usb. This always ends up as faulting drivers for the chipset. This may be the problem also. We have fixed by using the actual intel drivers downloaded from intel, not dell. I have not seen any of the new amd machines by dell with the problem -- yet.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

Sorry, I missed the "Dell" - Dell restore CD's are actually more forgiving than the Microsoft copies of XP. We routinely use one of the tech's CD's to do restores on customer's systems - but the drivers etc won't be correct so you've gotta be careful. And the Dell restore (if available on the hard drive) is actually a pretty robust utility that'll do a lot more than most OEM equipment.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users