Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heatsink + Fan Question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 daffsbro

daffsbro

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hello I have an Intel doul core 2 duo 1.86ghz and the Heatsink and fan that came with my cpu SUCK
i spent like $100 in cooling and a Super Cooling case and extra quite fans and I get my cpu and its louder then my Tv!

Any ideas on another Heat sink+Fan for it?

It has the 4 pins that lock into the mother board (feels like you will snap the mb)

Heres the link to newegg were i got it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115005

Thanks

also Im a teenager so i dont have deep pockets but I want a quiet one thanks.

Moved from the Vista Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 10 May 2007 - 12:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:36 AM

From what I've understood the Intel retail HSF is supposed to be really good and not at all loud. Two questions: What is your CPU temperature and what motherboard do you have?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 IndigoRed

IndigoRed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:04 AM

Hey Daffsbro,

Adding on to Mr Alpha's questions, where is the noise coming from? Is it the heat sink and fan? Is it the whole case? Is the noise there from start-up, or build up after a few minutes? These things are all important and will lead to resolution. I'd be surprised if it's the heat sink and fan that came with the cpu as they are usually reliable. But a dodgy one isn't out of the question either.

Edited by IndigoRed, 10 May 2007 - 05:05 AM.

On a Scale of One to Ten, I Eat Lunch

Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid. I could have been you!

I'm learning to help at MRU

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

When I built my first Core 2 Duo system I didn't connect the fan properly and it didn't run - and I didn't notice it throughout the installation process! No problems with temps at all!

I'd suggest locating the noisemaker and letting us know where it is - from there we can recommend fixes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

I would use just one fan. A rear exhaust.
If you have the time you may want to run down to home depot and buy plumbers tape. Its a silver metal conductive tape. Then open up your case and seal every hole with the metal tape, including the front of the case. You should have a spot on the front of the case where you can mount a fan. Leave this open it will be the air intake (donít use this fan remove it). Its imperative that you only have one intake duct or the design wont work. What you are doing here is creating an S shaped airflow. It removes stagnant air from your case very quickly. Having too many fans in a case will reduce the performance of internal fans such as cpu and video card fans. The idea is to move air. This is a proven design. Some of my coworkers donít even use and exhaust fan. They just use the power supply fan. I donít have a computer power supply so I have to use a fan.
One problem I have had with this setup is the amount of dust that collects inside my case. There is simply too much air flowing through the case. So I bought a hepa air filter (used in home air conditioners) and cut about a 6 x 6 inch piece and placed it in the front of the case (with metal tape). My case is spotless. I replace the air cleaner about every 8 months.
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick youíre a** "
My Dad 1986

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Reminds me of working on Gateway computers. They are REALLY loud at start up then there really quiet unless your running the tires off it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

my Mother board is a:
CS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A (V5.1) LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

My CPU TEMP IS: 17 C - 20 C is that good?

I have a Fan pulling air in from the front, my cup fan that blows it out the side then a fan that pulls the air out the back. I have a cooler master Case so it has mini holes on the front to alow air in as needed.

The fans are installed correctly.

I unplugged all of my fans one by one noticed with all of them unpluged its still loud so I said humm..
$5 POWER SUPPLY!

lol I guess thats what you get for $5

thanks compusa

Thank you every one btw is 17-20 C good cooling?

#8 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

So I was looking for another power supply,

Does this look good and is it quite, If I don't get a reply in a few hours
Ill go down to compusa buy another one new brand try it out and if its loud just return it. check out this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182022

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

I haven't heard anything bad about the Rosewill PSU's - but haven't seen one myself.

17 - 20 degrees C is a good temp for a CPU
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:59 AM

What is the room temperature?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

I haven't heard anything bad about the Rosewill PSU's - but haven't seen one myself.

17 - 20 degrees C is a good temp for a CPU

I have a Rosewill PSU and I have my PC in my living room and it doesn't bother me or the girlfriend. Its actually pretty quiet. There inexpensive and Well made. Steel chassis, good quality connections, LOTS of plugs.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

What is the room temperature?

my room is 24c right now but it was hotter yesterday

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

Hmm... That's not very good, because the temperature is an impossibility. You see, unless you got some extreme cooling solution, your cooling solution would heat the processor up to room temperature if the processor was cooler than the room. This means the temperature reading is wrong. It is not unusual for the temperature to be off by a certain amount because it is not correctly calibrated, but this is usually in a +-10 įC range.

There are a couple of possibilities. The calibration could be way of. The software interpreting the reading could have gotten it wrong. The temperature diode or winbound chip might be damaged.

Depending on the reason it might be a problem because it would mess with the thermal fan control.

#14 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:30 AM

Well it has to be true lol, I have a Bios Temp Reading and a program I downloaded they both say its 17-20c but the temp in my room could be falty because I only have this dumb sticker on my wall that has some chemical in the sticker that changes colors due to the tempature its in F and C

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:53 AM

To get a processor temperature of 17-20 įC the room temperature would need to be around 0 įC and you would be freezing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users