Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Spm/lx Windows Xp Pro Sp 2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ann G.

Ann G.

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hi:
I'm sorry to bother you nice people, but this is making me crazy and I do appreciate any (understandable) directions you can give me.
I am definitely a newbie - don't hate me - I'm trying to learn!
Pop-ups are: "Windows Explorer has detected Trojan SPM/LX" and "Security Monitor WARNING! System detected a potential hazard (Trojan SPM/LX) on your computer that may infect executable fines. Your private information on PC safety is at risk. To get rid of unwanted spyware and keep your computer safe you need to update your current security software. Click Yes to download official intrusion detection system (IDS software).
There even appears a pop-up that looks like IE 6 browser that says "Error" - but I didn't order-up IE 6.
I Googled this virus name and then went over to Bleeping Computer to see how to remove it, but, I didn't understand any fo the instructions! (Yes, I'm that new, but really need the help, please).
There were whole lines that read; c:program, etc. etc. etc., but I had no idea what they meant, so I have no way of following instructions.It also said HiJack This, but I don't have that, so I couldn't continue, if I did get the instructions.
You can't know my frustration, in asking for your help, when I've just told you that I really can't follow those instructions, but I bet you're
feeling close to it, in considering how to help me with this.
I'll print the instructions, but I found some words pretty technical and daunting.
If you can help me, I will be so grateful!
Many thanks,
Ann

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 09 May 2007 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Edited by buddy215, 09 May 2007 - 07:30 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi, and a belated :thumbsup: to bleeping computer.

You are definately giving a description that says you have a smitfraud variant trojan horse. This is what I like to call rip off ware, as all it does is get your money if you fall for the BS message. I would concentrate of getting a hijack this log posted in the correct forum, so one of the experts can help you. Here is a direct link with instructions on how to download and make the hijack this log. If you have any problems, post back here and one of us will try to help you. Do not post the hijack this log here. Please don not bump your log or make any other changes, as this could affect the fixes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/25912/unzip-hijackthismake-a-shortcut/

Edited by oldf@rt, 09 May 2007 - 07:29 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users