Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Load Into New Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

:huh:

Here's another problem I am having with Vista home premium......not quite out of the woods yet....lol

At times when the system reboots after changing a setting, the system boot manager screen will appear and ask to if I want to boot up or run a system diagnostics, in addition to this, my internet connection is lost, I have to manually repower the modem before I can establish a connection.....weird huh?
Does anyone know why it's doing this?
Mind you, this does not happen all the time......

John, you referenced to having my SATA drivers ready on a floppy. Would these drivers be a function of the MOBO or the hard drives themselves? I don't remember seeing a page on the Vista upload referring to other drivers or RAID/SCSI, but then I could be, and probably am mistaken.

The boot page and having to re-establish my internet connection is driving me crazy, for what it is worth, it seems as though this happend after I reinstalled the other 2 RAM....

Also, how can I setup the system so that upon initial boot, post and bios, (before Vista loads) is shortened?

Internet connection is via ClearWire
Modem is:
NexNet Wireless
Part # 900-0071-1903

Thanks in advance!
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

The boot screen that you're seeing is a result of a problem with the system booting - and Windows is offering you the opportunity to correct it (using the system diagnostics).

Are you sure that your devices are correctly installed? Click once on Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Any red x's or yellow !'s there?

Unfortunately the SATA driver thingie isn't real obvious - it appears on the page (I think) where you choose which hard drive to install Vista to. It's one of the choices below the screen listing the available partitions.

In Device Manager you can also update the drivers by selecting the controller to update. Most newer mobo's can recognize SATA drives natively, and Windows can also - but it's not a 100% solution as it give reduced functionality (IMO) of the drive controllers. I highly recommend installing the drivers - even though it is confusing and a general PITA. Once it's working correctly there shouldn't be any further issues.

I don't recall your RAM status - but there was a link in one of the posts to a KB article about some systems having a problem with too much RAM - the workaround was to boot and install Vista with less RAM, then add the additional RAM afterwards. Anyone have the link, I can't seem to find it?

BIOS tweaking is pretty darned complicated - so I'll refer you to this link for The BIOS Optimization Guide: http://www.techarp.com/show.aspx?fileID=18
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

Good question. Does Vista require a 3 party boot device driver. I didnít see it in the Vista install.
At that I couldnít even find drivers.
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick youíre a** "
My Dad 1986

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:54 AM

Vista needs the drivers for your SATA devices while it's installing - even if your mobo recognizes SATA natively. The option to load drivers is a bit hard to see tho' - on the page that asks you where you want to install Vista, there's an option to load drivers just below the hard drives that are listed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

I thought Vista cam with SATA drivers for the wast majority of SATA controllers out there.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

My new MSI mobo (975X PUE) sure wasn't recognized! I fought with it for about a week before I got it to take the correct one! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users