Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Do A Sytem Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Generic Guest

Generic Guest

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

I have been having what I think are driver issues, which I posted in another thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic88701.html), and I've decided it's probably easier to just do a system restore.

Unfortunately, every time I pick a restore point (I've picked many different options, from manually made points to system checkpoints), I get this message:

"Your computer cannot be restored to:
[date and restore time I chose]
No changes have been made to your computer."

I get this message after XP logs off, then a system restore progress bar completes and the computer restarts. I then log in again, but then get the above message.

I doubt this is related to my original problem, and from what I've looked into online, it could have something to do with anti-virus software. I uninstalled all my Norton programs, except for some security update program that would not uninstall. Then I tried uninstalling my AOL Active Virus Shield, but of course you can't do that till you turn it off, which is seemingly not an option (I have shut down its activity for now).

From other troubleshooting I've looked into on System Restore, it seems that playing with some .inf files or other tactics fixes SR problems, but results in a loss of all current restore points. Obviously, my ideal situation is to keep those, so I can restore to a point of about a month and a half ago.

All I want is the volume back on my computer (that's part of my originl problem). Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

A moderator will pick up on this thread. But Once you have posted a HJT log you should not make any changes to your computer untill its been resolved on the HJT Thread. Doing so may cause more harm then good to your computer. And any changes made may change what needs to be done to fix your computer

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 May 2007 - 03:24 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

Generic Guest,

As Sneakycyber said, since you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
That could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users