Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Thing Happening At Start Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

Howdy,

I have been having a problem the last few days when I start my computer. Under normal circumstances when I start the computer the Dell logo will appear on the screen and then immediately after the screen will turn blue and both of our user names will appear. I would then click on my user name and Windows would load.

Now what is happening is after the Dell logo appears the screen goes blank except for a small rectangular blinking white light that appears in the upper left corner of my screen.

If the click the mouse nothing happens. After 5 to 10 minutes go by the screen turns blue and the user accounts show up and I am able to load windows.

I have not downloaded any new programs within the last few weeks.

I use Norton Security 2006, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, Avg Anti Spyware Free, Spywareblaster and Spywareguard as my defense against "monsters". I update and run scans everyday. After today's scans the only things that was found were 2 tracking cookies.

Windows XP Home, SP2, IE-7

Can anyone help me with this dilemma ?

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 09 May 2007 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

If you can boot to the Desktop look in the Event Viewer and report the last for error messages here.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the reply acklan.

Right after I started this thread things went down hill. I re-started my computer a couple of times hoping that would clear things up. No dice.

I tried system restore in both normal and safe modes but the screen froze. No dice.

I tried " last good configuration " . No dice.

Windows did go back to loading normally on it's own which is good, the bad part is I could no longer connect to the Internet properly. I kept getting the message " this page cannot be displayed".

I called the cable company I deal with and they told me that everything was fine on their end.

The fellow helping me told me to disable my firewall to see if that was the problem. After I disabled the firewall ( Norton Security 2006) I was able to get to my home page (Yahoo). The problem was if I clicked on any tab on the home page I got the message ( This page cannot be displayed).

I get fed up and removed Norton from the computer. I am now able to operate normally.

I have had Norton for almost a year with no problems. I wonder why it would start blocking my Internet access ?? The only thing I can think of is that we had a couple of power outages due to a coastal storm. I have a surge protector but maybe the outages messed something up. ??

I enabled the Windows Defender firewall so I have some protection.

I have a few months left on my subscription with Norton however I do not want to reinstall it again.

Is there a removal tool I should use to make sure that Norton is completely removed from my computer ?

What firewall would you suggest I install ?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Dennis H, 13 May 2007 - 08:21 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

This should help you to remove Norton:
How To Remove Your Norton Products

You can check our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, for a selection of several Firewalls that you can try.
When you install another firewall, make sure the Windows firewall is disabled.
Running more than one, will cause conflicts.

If you remove Norton, I also recommend you install an Antivirus, from the same list.

Only 1 antivirus, and only 1 firewall.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the information tq1911.

Edited by Dennis H, 13 May 2007 - 10:39 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

I have been running AVG and ZoneAlarm for several years and like them both.

Edited by dc3, 13 May 2007 - 10:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users