Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hi. I'm totally PC-illiterate (i'm almost 60 yrs old with a stone age mentality so so what do you expect?) and want to be able to 'burn' (i think thats the word) pics from my hard drive to CD as backups.
What hardware do I need?
I presume i'll need a 'burner',(whats its proper name?) does it plug into the PC or does it have to be fitted inside?
I haven't got a DVD drive, I don't need one do I?
I know I could go down the computer shop and ask all this but they might lie through their teeth to talk me into spending more than I need to, so I thought I'd ask here first, still got enough wits about me to think of that..
What sort of prices do burners start at, I don't want anything fancy, I'll only use it once in a while anyway.
Hey would it be cheaper to ask a PC shop to do the burning for me? Do they offer services like that?
I'm Win XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:30 AM

You do need a "burner", if it's just pictures a CD-RW drive is all you need. What brand and model is your computer? Do you already have a CD rom in it? Maybe it will burn too.. As for software you can use the "copy and paste" method that Windows has.

If you need to buy a burner, Newegg.com has some for around $35 - $40. Although just CD-RW's are getting harder to find, you can use a DVD burner. They are not hard to install. If you can get the brand and model of your computer we can help out.... :thumbsup:

edit: forgot to put something in....

Edited by Wildabeast, 09 May 2007 - 03:32 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:18 AM

Oklay here are my PC stats, mean anything?

1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron
512 Megabytes Installed Memory
E-IDE CD-ROM CR-852E
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [Display adapter]

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:56 AM

Unfortunately, your CD-ROM won't write to CD's - so you'll have to get a new one that can write. Decent CD/DVD writers cost about $40 online and are a snap to install.

First, remove the CD drive that's in there now. It'll be held in with clamps or screws. You may have to take the front off of the case to slide it out.

Once it's out, check the jumpers on the back to see what they're set at (CS or Cable Select is most common) - but since this is likely an older computer, you're likely to see it set as Master or Slave. You can tell this by the diagram that's located near the jumpers themselves. Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.pchardware.co.uk/install-optical-drive.php

Anyway, in older computers there was a standard - that is, the drive set as Master goes on the far end of the cable, while the drive set as Slave goes to the middle connector. Just figure out which one yours is and set the new one appropriately.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users