Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Exercise?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Umbrella

Umbrella

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

Every evening I take a short stroll around the neighborhood. I'm not quite sure whether this is enough to maintain physical fitness for me, but it certainly is relaxing and enjoyable. So I was wondering, how does everybody else in the Bleeping Computer community get their exercise? I would love to read your replies! :thumbsup:
--Even if I were reborn a thousand times it would not be enough to experience the world. Life is beautiful--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:37 AM

Exercise? What's that?

Actually, I try to golf as much as I can. The way I play, I can turn a 3mile course into a 5 mile walk. I use to golf 2 -3 times a week before we moved here, 6 years ago. Since then I've only gone a couple times a year so who knows where the ball will go when I hit it, if I hit it.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:47 AM

Each morning here in pitch black darkness,I see many women strutting their stuff around the streets.No dog or big stick. Quite alone.I think think this is a very dangerous practice, in the voilent times in which we live in big cities.I think Housework would be a much safer alternative,and would achieve much faster results.IMHO. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 09 May 2007 - 04:05 AM.

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:07 AM

Exercise? What's that?

Wildabeast you read my mind. :flowers:

My exercise is walking down a flight of stairs to smoke and then back up again a couple of times a day.
When my niece is here we go walking, gotta make her tired. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Actually, I try to golf as much as I can. The way I play, I can turn a 3mile course into a 5 mile walk.

I know exactly what you mean! :flowers: But golf is one of the few sports in which mediocrity is completely enjoyable.

I play basketball once a week. About 4-5 times a week I weight train. :thumbsup: The way I weight train I get a good cardio workout as well. On top of that I run 2-4 miles twice a week. I went through a period where I did nothing but drink and party :trumpet: , so now I am making up for lost time.

Probably the biggest part of exercise ~80% is diet and nutrition. So I watch what I eat, plenty of protein and good carbs. Plus, weight training is the best way to shed fat and build lean muscle, better than running and the like; but balance is a key.

Cheers,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

Exercise? What's that?

Wildabeast you read my mind. :trumpet:

My exercise is walking down a flight of stairs to smoke and then back up again a couple of times a day.
When my niece is here we go walking, gotta make her tired. :flowers:

I hated going outside in the cold to have a smoke, which is often.Installed a strong exhaust fan in the Toilet.
Only problem now,with the toilet paper,it's a fight now who gets it. Me or the exahaust fan. :thumbsup:

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

:thumbsup:
I can't smoke in the house, so it's no problem for me to go outside. Plus, we don't have winter here.
It's 75 F now and windy, and this is pretty cold. :flowers:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

The bright spot to cold weather and exercise is one burns off calories a lot faster - but only if one is in decent condition to start with and no heart attack awaits from shoveling snow off driveway - eep!

Agree with you DSTM, exercising in the dark hours in a city is sadly far from safe now ... think I'd get a wonderfully huge dog. Not only would it hopefully offer a means of safety but if I remember correctly, they need walking several times a day - whether the owner feels like exercising or not.

Golfing - am sitting here smiling when I read the comments about golfing as a sport ... good thing mediocricy is okay on the golf course as my one and only experience was indeed that. All those different irons confused the pooey out of me and I couldn't even hit the ball half the time - then discovered with a 'putter' I could not only get the ball to go 'forever' but darn accurately very near to the silly little hole too. I was having such fun - but sadly it seems to be a social 'no no' to use the putter for every single shot/swing/whatever - gentle sigh.

Lately my sole exercise seems to be unending housework and trying to exhaust the little ones in the park across the street each week (yup, your on to something there, Tink!)

Nearly forgot ... re extra strong fan in bathroom and toilet paper blowing in the breeze, DSTM ... hope at least your kitty doesn't shred the stuff so you get confetti blowing around :thumbsup:

Edited by MaraM, 09 May 2007 - 02:13 PM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

Golfing is a good sport, coz when you are a beginner you tend to shoot the darn ball left and right, but not straight ahead towards the hole :thumbsup: - I used to play golf about 10 years ago.
Now my exercise is walking down the 4 levels at lunchtime and at evening on way home lol. Other than that, I live close to the city park and try to go for a run once a week atleast. I do "forget about it" too often tho. Sitting infront of the PC 8 hrs at work and 4 to 5 at home isnt good exercise for sure, but what will one do...

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

Ok If no one else will. I will. having :flowers: Lots of :trumpet: Works for me :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 May 2007 - 03:09 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

Ok If no one else will. I will. having :inlove: Lots of :cool: Works for me :trumpet:

Must get pretty lonely exercising all by yourself. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#12 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

But seriously Sneakycyber, that is a great way to exercise. Awesome cardio.

It's even better when my wife is on the phone with me! :trumpet:

Edited by blueandgold04, 09 May 2007 - 04:06 PM.

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

Copious amounts of mouse movement accompanied by lots of keyboard button pushing.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

I am involved in 2 martial arts so do I a pretty rigorous workout. Basically tho 4-5 times a week I do an hour in the morning. Take 2 classes each a week and teach 4. It something like this: first a warm up, so no muscle pulls occur.
100 jumping jacks
Run up and down my 200 foot drive (or in place on rainy days ). 2 min medium pace. 2 laps as fast as I can. Then walk it up and down.
Next a thorough stretch, every thing gets flexed and stretched. Here it's about a 1\2 hour
Now throw 100 good punches into the makiwara (rope around wood)
Follow with 10 of each type kick with each leg (12 basic kicks ). Lot of variations and with/without heavy bag to mix it up.
Then I will do the 'Kata' or form of the art. A ballet or motion of all the techniques used.
Lastly I do 10,9,8,7 etc to 1 of alternating pushup and sit ups.
Finally to capture breathing and Chi I will balance in some way
It's a great workout. I love it. Flexibility is te best part. I sit on the floor with my legs as wide as they go. I reach to the front and push my chest to the floor. My wife some time stands or sits on my shoulders til my chin touches the floor.

Edited by boopme, 09 May 2007 - 05:49 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

Ok If no one else will. I will. having :flowers: Lots of :trumpet: Works for me :thumbsup:

That uses up as many calories as 2 fully loaded hot dogs. (oh god the stuff I remember from wrestling in HS)

Actually my job is my work out

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users