Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Setup Dialup. Button Grayed Out.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zippys

zippys

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hi,
I have a Gateway 4540 laptop with XP sp2.
I travel and sometimes have to use dialup. My internal modem is shown as ok in system settings. I have tested it using the diagnostics and it sends back data.

I go to network connections, create a new connection, next, connect to the internet, setup my connection manually, THe next page where there are 3 selections, first of which is 0 Connect using a Dial Up Modem and the button is grayed out. The last one, Connect using a broadband connection that is always on. Is selected.

How do I ungrey out the 0 Connect using a Dial Up Modem ?

I am also getting a lot of "Windows has closed this program" on other applications.
Nero is having lot of problems such as suddenly shutting down unexpectedly.

I have : Run Spybot
Verified that my laptop sees the modem and it is working correctly.
Tried to windows apps add. Networks.. Everything supposed is there.
Uninstalled all Java updates and used latest jre-6u1-windows-i586-p

My logon screen has changed to a small box and I think I must have some malicious software that
has loaded into my computer.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zippys

zippys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

I forgot to mention: When I go to Mozilla, I have to go to tools, options, connection settings. It comes up:

Manual Proxy Configuration
HTTP Proxy: 217.200.200.52 Port 80
(*) Socks V5

When I change it to Automatically Detect, It works fine until I go out of Mozilla and back in, then have to do settings all over again. This started about the same time the other problems started.

Larry

Edited by zippys, 08 May 2007 - 05:25 PM.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

If you think you have some malicious software on your computer I would recommend running some online scans.

Housecall
BitDefender
OneCare
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 zippys

zippys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Thanks, but I have run all the scans listed in the "Start Here !" information at the top of the intro page.

I found several pop ups, but still can not set up the Dial Up Network. It is greyed out as I stated in my original post and I can NOT set up my internal modem or my cell phone as a modem. It sets up fine on my wife's laptop.

I sure would like some ideas of how to get my "dial up going" as I use my cell phone while traveling to get on the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users