Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Network At New Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mfc90125

mfc90125

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

Greetings:

I am moving into a new home in which I'd like to convert my existing Dell Dimension 4550 (2.5 ghz processor, 1 gb RAM, 60 GB Master HD, 150 GB Slave HD) into a server for my two laptops. All of my computers run XP Professional.

I would envision the laptops accessing the server for music, documents, and video only - all of this will be run wirelessly with an SBC modem/router. I'd like to see all other functions be locked down, minus the sharing of my networked laserjet.

I should also say that USAMA and I have been trying to work on a similar solution in my current home with little success - the problem has always been log in issues and slow response times between the laptops and the server-to-be.

Several questions to ask:
1. Based on my current setup, does my machine have the capacity to run as a server?
2. Why do the laptops have to be setup with non-admin passwords? Will I still be able to use them outside of the house (coffeeshop, airport, etc)?
3. Anyone have advice on steps to take to prepare the server for use in this manner?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

Yes you can run that computer as a server.

When you have a server, you usually setup a "DOMAIN", which will allow you to have an Active Directory. This will control Logins. If your laptops are not on the network, when you come to the login screen, you can select at the bottom "Choose Domain" and select the one that ends in (THIS COMPUTER). This will log you in with the user names and passwords stored on "That Computer". Allowing you to login to the computer outside the servers Domain.

I would like to talk to you in a more face to face manner. I will list my messanger SNs to see if you would like to talk quicker than a forum:

Yahoo messanger - Removed email address
msn/windows messanger- Removed email address

Add me to you list and i will talk to you in more detail about it.

Edited by acklan, 09 May 2007 - 09:09 AM.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

ok - I added you to my Windows Messenger - look forward to speaking with you..

#4 DPCS

DPCS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:11 AM

Shame the solution went off forum, as I'm trying to solve a similiar problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users