Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time Sync Problem With Xp Local Macines And Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

There are certain XP users within our company that cannot log into the private network because of a supposed time sync problem.

They attempt to log in and then they get a message that says that there is a time discrepancy between their machine and the network and to contact their administrator. I have to log in with a local admin account, reboot the machine and then the user can log in. I check the time and the time seems to be correct.

The time is managed by the domain controller, which sync up with an external time server.

This has only happened recently and seems to affect only specific clients on the network....at least 4 or 5. But it happens at least every other day and always to the same individuals.

There is a systems tech, which is me, and the senior administrator managing this network and he seems to be befuddled as to why this is happening.

Can anyone offer any input? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 May 2007 - 10:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Couple of questions,
1 Are these PC's in different time zones?
2 Have you run the daylight savings time fix on these PC's?
3 Is the time correct on the DC?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Also,

if they have MS Office and Outlook on them,

make sure you also run the DST update for Office/Outlook.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

Couple of questions,
1 Are these PC's in different time zones?
2 Have you run the daylight savings time fix on these PC's?
3 Is the time correct on the DC?

All the machines are in the same time zone

I have run the DST update KB931836-x86-ENU update on them. I reran it again on the machines that are experiencing a problem and I get a message that the same or new version of that update already exists.

Yes, the time is correct on the DC.

I went to the Event logs on the machines that were experiencing this and I expected to see an Error with the W32time process, but found that the process was indeed running and apparently syncing up with the Domain Controller.

However, what I found consistent with all the machines was a Kerberos error, Event ID: 5 that indicates that the time server does not match the time on the Key Distribution Center (KDC) that issued the ticket.

This is still perplexing because this issue is only affecting specific machines.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users