Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Aio A940 Printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:44 AM

hello,
I am trying to make my mom's Dell AIO A940 printer accesible in my laptop. Her computer is running XP Professional and I am running Vista Home Basic. We also can't see each other's computers on our network, which is part of the issue. Is there anyway to make it so the Dell printer can be accessed wirelessely? Also, how can we see each other's computers on our home network? It is connected to her desktop via a USB port.

Any assistance is apprieciated,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Well, you have to make sure that you are both in the same workgroup. One way to test if you can connect to her computer, is to type in the IP address of her computer into your MY computers address bar. To do this, go to your moms comp, and click Start>Run. Type CMD and hit enter. Type ipconfig at the c:\prompt, and write down the IP address. Then go back to your computer and open the my computer. Type in the address bar "\\< IP ADDY HERE>". such as an example. ( \\192.168.1.101 ). This will connect you directly to her computer. If you can do this, that means that your computer CAN see hers. As I stated, double check the WORKGROUP names.

As far as the printing. The easiest thing to do is get a print server. This will ensure that you can print to the printer without her computer needing to be turned on. They are usually anywhere from 20 bucks to 40, and hook into your network. A cheaper way to do it, but a little bit more complicated, is to set each computer to have a "Static Address" so it doesnt change. Then you can make a batch file that will run everytime your computer starts, so that it will delete any previous shared printer, and reconnect to it. This will reduce any time used when a printer does not connect properly. Such as if her computer was off, and yours is, you wont be able to print till hers is turned on. If you would like me to create you a batch file, i would be more than happy to help you setup a shared printer.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users