Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Final Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

This topic has questions about both linux AND windows XP but moreso XP so i thought i put it here.

So im finally gonna install Xandros. I've gotten myself a busload of partitioning/recovery tools and PART of my XP CD Working (it stopped at the file load so windows gave me a floppy disk install program but said i needed the disk 1 and i have so im ok) so i think im good but just a few final questions.

For XP:

On my XP Disk im having doubts if the fixmbr/fixboot command will work or not in the recovery console...what if its part of the messup on the disk? is there any way to test without actually overwriting my master boot record? because that sounds JUST A LITTLE dangerous =P

For Linux AND XP:

When i install Xandros and it dual boots overwriting my bootloader files and maybe even my master boot record(i dare you to tell me that doesent sound bad) and if everything goes fine and i like it. Is there a way to uninstall Xandros? I know theres no magic button...but would i like just go into a partition manager and delete the partition?

For XP:

If i do *successfully* uninstall Xandros (if i want to) will i have to reprogram and rewrite my MBR and NTLDR files? if i do is there a way to do it from the recovery console?

Starting to sound dangerous again but i have faith...i hope you can help

Thanks,
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Yes you will have to run a repair install to recreate the Windows MBR if you uninstall Xandros, but it is no big deal, really. As long as you have a legit copy of XP and you can't see any physical damage (scratches) on the disc it should be OK
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users