Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Lg 5.1 Surround Sound

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cknaus

cknaus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

Hi,

I am having some very strange problems with my LG 5.1 surround sound speakers that I have hooked up to my computer.

I have had the speakers connected to the computer for around 3-4 months now and they have been working perfectly (in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound modes).
On the weekend I moved my computer into a different room and moved the speakers with it. I hooked everything up and switched it on and played a couple of songs which all worked fine. Then about half an hour later I came back and played a few more songs when the problems began.

In the 5.1 surround sound mode the sound started fluctuating greatly going from quiet to loud to very tinny and then to a sort of hard to describe warped sound. Then the vocals would dissapear and sound would come only out of the rear speakers and then switch to only coming from the front. It was very strange. So then I bypassed the surround sound and went to stereo sound using only the sub and the two front speakers. This worked better than before but was still making some strange noises. Since then I have gotten the speakers to work by using the stereo mode but as soon as I switch it to the 5.1 mode it starts stuffing up again.

I have redownloaded my sound drivers and checked that my sound manager is set to 5.1 speaker set up. I dont believe it has anything to do with my sound card or drivers as it was working fine just a couple of days before in the other room. I have also rechecked the wiring to make sure that it is positive to positive and negative to negative from the amp to the speakers.

I have also tried different file types e.g movies, sound etc as I know some songs are only formatted for stereo sound, but shouldn't they still come out of all 5 speakers?

Any help would be great. Im stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:54 AM

Posted Image to BC knaus

I have also tried different file types e.g movies, sound etc as I know some songs are only formatted for stereo sound, but shouldn't they still come out of all 5 speakers?

THis is not necessarely so. Let us narrow down to see where we end up.

1) Have you recently downloaded any Codec Packs like for instance the KLite or Ace codec pack?
Can you tell us which sound codecs you have installed

2) Could it be that the jacks are damaged? Have you tried the speakers on another system?

3) Can you play DVD's on your computer, and do you own original DVD's with Dolby Surround quality, try to play those on your system and see what the quality is. Downloaded songs and/or DVD's tend to differ in quality depending on how they were created. If you want to be playing Dolby Surround you should be looking at minimum 192kpbs songs but 320 kbps is better.

4) Do you have any wireless devices in that particular room like phones ?

5) Do the speakers come with drivers?

6) Which soundcard do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users