Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Holidays - Great Experiences Or Lousy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:43 PM

Reading rowall's post about road signs made me think of the most wonderful vacations we've had. In reality, we've never had a bad holiday including the one and only time we drove to Disneyland with 6 year old girls who sang 'B-I-N-G-O' all the way there and 'Ninety nine bottles of beer on the way' all the way back - eep!

Just wondering if anyone would care to share their 'best' and 'worse' holiday adventures?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

Did she as ask "Are we there yet?" :thumbsup:

Anyways, most of my holiday adventures are usually fairly decent. My dad, brother and I go fishing a lot for some "holidays" (like memorial weekend, or weekend prior or following the 4th of july). Keeps us busy.

As for actual vacations (for holidays or not), I haven't been on one since 2001 when my family and I went to St. Louis.

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:47 PM

Whats a vacation? :thumbsup: (sorry couldnt resist)

Edited by Yourhighness, 07 May 2007 - 11:47 PM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:46 AM

One of the best vacations I ever had,
going camping with my dad in '87. We went into the mountains, outside Colorado Springs, (where he lived) and spent a week looking for a ghost town that has been lost. He showed me area's of the mountains that I had been to and never paid much attention to, I was busy fishing, and told me the history of the area and the mines that were there.
It was a great time, one that I will always remember. I think of it a lot since he passed away and I'm glad we did the trip.

One of the worst, when I was a kid, we drove out to Missouri to visit relatives. Enjoyed the family stuff but the weather, humidity, heat, bugs and chiggers. My first encounter with most of that stuff. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

It's wonderful when we have very special memories of certain holidays - and rarely are they of something we saw or bought - rather, they are usually of a person we were with during them.

I suspect that holiday was extra special to your Dad too, Wildabeast, and I'm so very glad you had this time togther and have these memories.. (Truly sorry that your Dad died - very gentle hug).

And yes, both girls asked, "Are we there yet?", Yano - laughing because is there a child in the world that doesn't do that, I wonder? :thumbsup: While the fishing sounds like fun, it does seem as if both you and Yourhighness are both well overdue for a 'real' holiday. Either one of you have something exciting planned for this summer, I wonder?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

I have two weeks in July during which I have my bday too, but I tend to have holidays at home, on my little balcony perhaps :thumbsup: dunno. Going for a holiday is deer and I have too much other stuff to cover to afford a holiday. But I got the sea just around the corner and a beautiful city I live in. Plus, hopefully it will be like "home alone" since its school summer-holiday and I hope everyone is leaving town so it wont be too crowded :flowers: . My last "real" Vacation was in November a "long weekend" I did a trip into the past, was rather uncomfy and scary actually. Well nevermind....

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

Oh gosh, to leave us 'hanging' like that re 'trip into the past' is cruel and unusual punishment - gentle smile.

I too live not far from the ocean and our holidays are now spent on day trips rediscovering our lovely city (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada). Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time in July and most of all, make your birthday an extra special day, Yourhighness.

#8 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

:flowers: best holiday i ever had was 2 years ago me ,my wife and daughter went on mediteranian cruise
stopping in majorca,menorca,ibiza,tunisia,rome,pisa,naples,florence,cannes,monte carlo and barcelona
was absolutely fantastic seeing all these great places.
the best place i visited was carthage in tunisia.
the worst was rome
on the whole never really had a bad holiday :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

Wow, that sounds like a truly incredible holiday! Love to know why Rome was the worse and Carthage the best part of it.

One thing we never got around to doing was taking a cruise - drat! Bet the service was wonderful and how nice not to have to shlepp suitcases between one hotel and another?

#10 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

Wow, that sounds like a truly incredible holiday! Love to know why Rome was the worse and Carthage the best part of it.

the problem with rome was besides the actual tourist attractions the place full of graffitti we took a coach from the dock to rome and all you could see was graffitti everywere there possibly could be,i mean some of it was anti -sematic some just pure racist it was for me a little bit disturbing but on the other hands the coliseum ,st pauls basilica and the other attractions were lovely.
now carthage on the other hand was fantastic wonderful scenery ,great history and our tour guide fantstic
as for cruise best time ever cannot, recommend highly enough :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

Whats a vacation? :thumbsup: (sorry couldnt resist)

I second that. i work on my vacations. usually catching up side jobs or getting new ones. (I hate having a good rep as a welder)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users