Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going Back To Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

Im running vista right now, and usually I have no problem switching between Operating systems.

I have my Hard drive partitioned into 2 sections

C: =OS and programs
D: =Back up

Now, when I put my vista disc in, it recognizes the drives, but when I put my XP disc in, it doesn't read the backup partition, it just reads the HDD as one entire partition.

(Though The last time I tried, it came up as C (NTFS), which is correct, and D(unknown) but it should not say that, It's NTFS as well..)

I used the Vista partitioning tool to do this since Partition magic doesn't work in vista too well. I really can't afford to lose the things on my back up partition, I already did once, but managed to recover most of the files. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:50 AM

They're not lost if Vista can recognize them. I'd suppose that this was some difference between the Vista and XP versions of NTFS (just a hunch on my part).

To install XP, I'd suggest that you create a new partition (while in Vista) that's in the free space on the C: drive - then install XP to that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

Thats a good idea.. Im trying not too dual boot. But right now the only logical move would be to do so. My understanding is that it is best to install xp first, then vista. Thanks Usasma, not the first time you've helped me .

#4 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

I had a similar problem. Vista and XP. Talking to other people on other forums it may have something to do with no 3rsd party raid device with SATA drives. I fixed it by reinstalling windows xp without 3rd party raid setup. It worked.
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users