Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijackthis Log File

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 MSH-Toshiba205

MSH-Toshiba205

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Attached File  hijackthisref.log   9.94KB   6 downloads

Greetings,

This is my first time here in this site and thus the forum. CastleCops advised me to check with BleepingComputer.com as a part of procedures set-forth to solve problems with my computer. It all started 6 weeks ago by slow performance and 100% Task Manager CPU consumption while RAM usage was around 450-650 MB out of 4 GB (2 Physical and 2GB allocated for paging purposes.

I had then; Symantec NIS 2007, SYMC Confidential, and SYMC SystemWorks 2007. System started giving error messages of ccApp.exe of Symantec. I purchased PCTools SpyDoctor and it did help to maintain stability far some time. Problems started again and then I decided to use SpyEraser, Registry Booster, and SpeedUpMyPC from Uniblue. When all 3 worked together, system became stable though little slow at startup which is fully understood.

Three (3) weeks ago, system went nuts again and all applications became Hung ones. I uninstalled lots of applications like Adobe CS2.3, SmartDraw, etc to offload some weight from system. It didn't work. I decided to restore original factory settings last week and used McAfee Security Center solution (Antivirus, Firewall, privacy, Antispyware, etc). System again went to 100% task manager with literally system based apps and McAfee ones. I tested same apps and same McAfee on another less powerful machine and performance was great with Task Manager of 1% only of CPU consumption.

I used LavaSoft SE version and it helped. Today all apps are disabled excluding McAfee and yet system is giving 90-100 CPU consumption. Application load process is very slow. Web Browsing is almost impossible and EMAILS take 15 minutes to download for a process of 30 seconds. My Notebook is Toshiba Satellite U205 with Intel Duo Core and WIN XP PRO SP2. Internet access is made via DSL 2 MB line.

I really appreciate your advise as I am considering dropping this 3 month old machine into a new one while changing OS to Vista but I am little concerned of same problems I faced above. I really need your advise and help.

Thanks and Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

Some remarks - as you also noticed and described... McAfee can indeed cause problems on some systems while on it works perfectly on other systems. This is a known fact.
Also, as I read here, you actually "overloaded" your system with all kind of extra scans, registry tools, System Tweak tools etc...
Keep in mind that they may cause more problems than anything else.

Especially registry cleaners - which I don't recommend at all. It's not the first time that someone had to reinstall Windows because they ran a registry cleaning tool which actually caused a corrupted registry instead of "repairing" it.

Basically Windows Standard settings are still the best. Why starting to tweak it? Using registry boosters and other tweaks do change basic settings in Windows - Some do disable some services, which are actually required to run some programs properly, disable other components which are actually also needed - and then afterwards people start to complain that their Windows doesn't work as it was supposed to work?

Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, what you are disabling... but unfortunately this isn't always the case, since many of these so called "tweak tools and optimizing tools" have the button which says: "Speed up my Pc" or something similar. Then they click it -- but don't know what it exactly did.

I tested same apps and same McAfee on another less powerful machine and performance was great with Task Manager of 1% only of CPU consumption.

I guess that less powerful machine was also less tweaked and not overloaded with all the extra tools :thumbsup:

Anyway, when I looked at your HijackThislog, I see there are a HUGE amount of programs/tools running in the background. The more tools you add - starting up with Windows - the slower your system. And yes, this also counts for the so called "speed up tools".

McAfee is already known to slow down the system a lot. If you install other similar apps on top, also running in the background - actually doing the same thing as McAfee does (do you also clean your house with several different vacuum cleaners?), this may cause the extra slowdown and may even cause compatibility problems.

Please read this page how to improve system performance in a "healthy" way: http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...owcomputer.html
Don't forget to read the link there: "What really slows down Windows".
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

Since there is no feedback anymore, I assume this issue is resolved ... so, this Topic is closed.
If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users