Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-instal 'recvery Files On Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DRW123

DRW123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

I somehow erased the recovery files on the HD. I have the DVD's and can recover with them but want the recovery partition because it's faster. Just copying them doesn't work. This happened while installing XP Pro on a second drive which also didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

What make and model of computer?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DRW123

DRW123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hi,
It is HP M7750N. 400 gig HD, 2 gig mem, 2.66 AMD X64-2. Media Center Model
Thanks

#4 DRW123

DRW123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

Hi John,
Iam a new member so I may have answered 2times.
HP M7750N, 400 gig HD, 2 Gig mem,

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

Generally, you'll have to use the recovery CD/DVD's to restore the partition - then you can use it to recovery from (but not all HP's may work this way).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DRW123

DRW123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

You know, the store pro said that also but when I restored from the DVD everything went well except for the partition recovery. Thanks for the help. Like I said, I can use the DVD but the partition is so much faster and I do have the habit of messing things up on my machines. I got my first one in 1975, the old TRS80. By for now.

#7 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Use Dos.
I made a recovery partition on a Sony laptop with a program called NTFS4DOS and XXcopy.
Itís a DOS Boot disk that can read NTFS files. Once you boot with NTFS4DOS copy have to
Use the file XXcopy to copy your DVDís to the Recovery partition. If you do a little reading on XXcopy it can be a powerful tool. I use it to rip DVDís (for backup purpose).
I donít know how your recovery partition works but with Sonyís the partition is non accessible. So I had to use a typical partition.
I had no problems with system recovery using a standard partition.

NTFS4DOS download
http://www.softsland.com/Avira_NTFS4DOS_Personal.html

XXcopy
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlxxcopy.html

xxcopy commands. This text file should help if you donít know Xcopy or XXcopy commands.
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy19.htm
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick youíre a** "
My Dad 1986

#8 DRW123

DRW123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:02 PM