Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

Hello, I am hoping to get a new graphics card in order to play new games, but there's a problem. My current card is integrated into the motherboard. I'm not really sure how I would go about changing the card. If it is any help, my computer is a Dell Dimension 4700. I'd also like to know if these sticks of RAM would be compatible with my computer : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034

Edited by qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq, 07 May 2007 - 06:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

That ram should work fine.

Also, with the graphics's card your computer has a pci Express 16 slot (pciex16). Do you know of what kind you are interested in getting? Or do you have a specific price range. Maybe we can give you suggestions of good cards.Here is the link to all the pciex16 cards on newegg.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

Ok thanks for the help with the RAM. Now for the card, I was hoping to get something that will play new games such as Battlefield 2142 and possibly The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion. The requirements for Oblivion can be found here. If you might, please help me pick a chip that is less than $100.

Edit - I forgot to ask.. what is the difference between RAM and SDRAM?

Edited by qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq, 07 May 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

Are you sure of the model#? a quick search shows you have a PCI-e Slot. The RAM should be backward compatible so it will work
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

The model number of my computer? It's 4700.

edit - this ram should work too right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134045

Edited by qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq, 07 May 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

The model number of my computer? It's 4700.

edit - this ram should work too right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134045

Go to Kingston's site and use their memory selector to be sure
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Ok well I've decided I'm going to buy the first option of RAM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034 ).

So this should definitely work with my Dell Dimension 4700 right?

Other than that, I still need to figure out what to do about a graphics card. I'm hoping to get one that can play new games, preferably Battlefield 2142. Heres the requirements :

" In order to install and play Battlefield 2142, your system must meet or exceed the following minimum system requirements.

Operating System: Windows XP with latest service pack installed DirectX 9.0c February 2006 edition (included)
CPU: 1.7 Ghz
RAM: 512 Mb
Video Card: 128Mb DirectX compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above.
Hard Drive space: 1.8Gb of space is required to install the game
Internet connection: 128kbit Cable/DSL connection

In order to play the game at the recommended resolution, detail and performance levels, your computer should match or exceed the following specifications:

Operating System: Windows XP with latest service pack installed DirectX 9.0c February 2006 edition (included)
CPU: 3.0 Ghz
RAM: 1.5 Gb
Video Card: 256Mb DirectX compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above.
Hard Drive space: 1.8Gb of space is required to install the game
Internet connection: 512Mb Cable/DSL connection

SUPPORTED VIDEO CHIPSETS WITH LATEST DRIVER VERSION INFO.

ATI
Driver tested: Catalyst v6.7 Windows XP

Radeon 9500/9700 series
Radeon 9550 series
Radeon 9600 series
Radeon 9800 series
Radeon X300 series (non integrated versions)
Radeon X600 series
Radeon X700 series
Radeon X800 series
Radeon X850 series
Radeon X1300 series
Radeon X1600 series
Radeon X1800 series
Radeon X1900 series

NVIDIA
Driver tested: Forceware v91.31 Windows XP

GeForce 5800 series
GeForce 5900 series
GeForce 6200 series
GeForce 6800 series
GeForce 7300 series
GeForce 7800 series
GeForce FX 5700 series
GeForce FX 5900 series
GeForce FX 5950 series "

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

How About this card ?
It's not on that list for supported cards, but its better then most of them so it should work. Also, my friend has that same exact card and it runs wonderful.

You could also, get an ATI card such as this .

hope this was helpful!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

How About this card ?
It's not on that list for supported cards, but its better then most of them so it should work. Also, my friend has that same exact card and it runs wonderful.

You could also, get an ATI card such as this .

hope this was helpful!

Thanks this was Very helpful! I just have a few more questions..

1. This is just a confirmation - The first RAM item I posted should work fine with my computer correct?

2. How difficult would it be to install the new graphics card?

3. Would you recommend buying RAM from somewhere else to make sure it would work with my computer? I just don't want to buy the RAM and have any problems. I've also heard that people have had to manually do change things with the RAM instead of just inserting it into the dock and it working.

If you could, please clear these questions up for me. Thanks!

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

1. Yes

2. If you can install RAM, you can install a graphics card

2. Corsair, Mushkin, Crucial are all good brands. Sometimes you had to fiddle with voltage settings. I don't think you have to anymore. Some people overclock and fiddle with the RAM. You won't have a problem in either case.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

I take it that goes the same for my computer? If so, this is being judged by looking at the standards of my computer (dimension 4700) right? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I really wouldn't want to go through the hassle of returning the items.. espescially the RAM, because I've had someone tell me that I should stick to buying the same kind of RAM(dell) for my computer, or it could kill my PC. Otherwise, thanks a bunch!

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

It will work, the specs. are the same. Awhile ago, Dell used propietary memory modules that were so expensive other vendors would'nt manufactor any. not anymore
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the help! I'm going to buy the two items, and soon, I guess I'll post the results! Thanks!

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

On my Dell system, that is older then yours, I have replaced ram with totally different brand then dell, and also gotten a graphics card.

#15 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Yes, I have a 7600, and bf2142 runs flawlessly on nearly all highs (havent tried all high yet actually), so expect good results.

That's a great game by the way, if you want to friend me, I'm "darkpaladin79ofo"

Edited by T, 10 May 2007 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users