Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving Files From An Old Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cbjr

cbjr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

I recently changed my hard drive (OS Windows 98) without backing up my old files. I realized I needed some files on the old drive and tried reinstalling it. However, I kept being asked to format it, thus erasing my files on it. Does anyone know if I can somehow retrieve my old files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

When you reinstalled the drive how did you do that? What is the exact message? 98 should never prompt you to reformat a non-removable drive.

Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to disconnect the IDE and power cables from your cdrom drive(s) and connect it to the hard drive. This way you do not have to worry about master/slave jumper settings.
Then go into My Computer or Windows explorer and copy what you want over to the new drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users