Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yooperlou

yooperlou

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:40 PM

Hello all,

I am having a problem with this computer and cannot figure it out. When booting up I cannot get into the screen for safe mode, etc. I have two hard drives and I believe the problem lies in C drive. I used to run windows 2000, had a problem and took it to a repair shop. He installed windows xp home on D drive but did not remove the 2000 version.

Ever since then I cannot get into the startup screen I guess you could call it. I believe you need to hit either f7 or f8. Really doesn't matter because neither works.

I use anti-trojan shield, ran several scans without any suspicious files. Ran both AVG and Norton 2004 (newest version) and nothing found.

Also my computer comes up with keyboard error. The num lock cap lock and scroll lock blink alternately when booting up and no f keys function. It is a usb keyboard. I have heard that this could be the problem but not sure, it used to recognize it before.

After all this babbling I guess what I need is info on how to get to the screen at start up where you can get to safe mode, etc.

Any help would be appreciated, be kind I'm pretty lame with computers :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yooperlou

yooperlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:55 PM

Also I shoud add that I cannot see windows 2000 on the add/remove hardware option but if I do a search on the computer it's still there. What gives?

Thanks eh?

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:05 PM

click Start / Run / enter the command MSConfig / OK

Click BOOT.INI tab / check the /SAFEBOOT box

Now when you boot, Windows will go into Safe mode.
Naturally, when you no longer need Safe mode, you'll repeat the process and uncheck that
box.

NOTE: Don't experiment with the other settings on this tab. You could wind up unable to get back into MSConfig to undo your changes.

EDIT: Re-reading your post I noticed something:

Are you running both, AVG and Norton 2004, at the same time?

If so, STOP!
Pick one.

You should never have 2 AV's running at the same time. It could cause conflicts between the 2 programs, rendering one, or both inoperable.

If you feel your AV might be missing something, run these 2 online scans to double check.
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Edited by tg1911, 15 January 2005 - 07:24 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 yooperlou

yooperlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

tg1911-

Thanks , yes I do have both running. Avg seems to be better/quicker for sure, at scanning the drives and picking out trojans than Norton. I have the free version of avg and bought norton. Which do you think I should keep? I really like the fact that avg d/l's updates pretty much daily but being the free version I don't get all the functions. Thanks

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:41 AM

Some swear by AVG, and some swear by Norton.
That's really a personal decision.
Pick the one you like best, use it, and keep it updated.
As I've stated in my previous post, if in doubt, run the online scans.

Are you using these basic security programs?

aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:39 AM

be glad you are not using AVG and McAfee's Viusscan at the same time

that combo will turn a Win2k or XP machine into something that will not boot...
safe mode... none of the boot options work.

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#7 yooperlou

yooperlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll get rid of avg seeing as how my nortons was purchased and will be updated for a year.

I do run ad-aware se (free version). I used to run search and destroy but just recently took it off when I d/l adaware.

I'll see what happens after that. Thanks again.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:03 PM

.... I do run ad-aware se (free version). I used to run search and destroy but just recently took it off when I d/l adaware. ....

You should use both. There's no, one program, that will catch everything, as all of the HJT logs prove.

No such thing as, to much protection!!!

You should use all of the programs (or something similar) that I have suggested.
What ever program you decide to use, be sure to check it against this list of Rogue Spyware Programs, before downloading it.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:11 PM

You can keep AVG also, just don't have it run at startup. Be aware that when you scan with one it will find any viruses that the other has in quarantine.

If the F keys don't work you won't get into safe mode. Suggest you try uninstalling - reinstalling keyboard program.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users