Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Work Related Stress

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

:flowers: hi guys as owner of my own company i find stress to be an everyday occurence i.e making sure deadlines are met ,making sure staff on on site so and so forth.i have had panic attacks my hair is grey at 33
,but i have a fairly comfortable lifestyle.what i am really asking is do you find that people use the word stressed far to often, iknow i hear it a lot from people who seem to have no worries
would enjoy your feedback
thanks guys :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

At the risk of sounding a tad nutty here - gentle smile - I do feel that stress is interpreted differently by many people - if that makes any sense? And not only is stress different for different people, stress levels or what causes a person stress can change vastly over time within the same person.

Sounds like you have ever so much responsiblity in your life, mz30 - but as to the gray hair, 'gray is beautiful' - grin!

It took me a long time to figure this out for myself and longer to apply it to myself ... but if something won't matter a year from now, it's often best to just 'let it go'! Gentle smile.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

In Germany a lot of ppl use the word "stress." Baring in mind that competition in the EU is ever so hard, but as well globally and we have a lot of issues with cheaper work forces in the eastern Europe areas, ppl have to work more today than they had to 10 years ago.
It seems everyone is more at work than at home relaxing. It seems more and more deadlines are to be met in same time frames less had to be met years ago (I was just talking about that with my mom on sunday and she was very concerned about just that issue). In fact, the health insurance companies in Germany have started to make Bonus Programs if their members visit anti-stress courses, fitness-courses and so forth because of just this change in todays working life. More people have "burn out" syndroms today than ever before, costing the insurance companies a whole lot of money, so this stress is a thing that really needs to be further researched in near future as the global market is just going to increase this problem.

I am in the transportation business (shipping containers) and in the actual "transport" department. Stress? We have times of the day where we have one phone on the lhs, one phone on the rhs, write an email at the same time and talk to our colleagues to get stuff done :thumbsup: .
Yes it is stress and I am glad when I come home and can just "not" call ppl and just sit there and have silence. And yes, I have an everage of 15 overtime hours a month, without having done anything in particular to "pile em up." Its just part of our todays working days. I am a bit hectic myself but have to admit that this job I am in now (which I love) has taught me already a bit otherwise (like MaraM already mentioned). I did have a white hair about 2 weeks ago (at 25). Dunno where I got it from or where it went tho :flowers: .

Kind regards,

BSG - Yourhighness

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

wow my stress gets worse
on friday was climbing a small barrier to open a door and slipped, put my hand out to steady myself an dislocated my shoulder as i twisted it popped back in :trumpet:
so now taking morphine for the pain.

and as a b.c friend said iam now like a one armed wallpaper hanger :thumbsup: :flowers:

but suppose everything is not that bad can still type one handed :inlove:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

Ooh! Hope your shoulder pain lessens quickly, mz30!

What a great idea to have Bonus Plans for employees who attend special courses, YourHighness - very wise. Sadly, many companies here still seem to feel that stress is a 'dirty word' and choose to not recognise it's existance.

Work related stress can really pile up - making it even more important that our homes are true sanctuaries where we can recharge our mental batteries.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

Ooh! Hope your shoulder pain lessens quickly, mz30!

thanks maram hoping so to i 'm thinking of doing away with the morphine makes feel ill
maybe i should try alcahol pain relief :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:24 AM

I'm walking on 'very thin ice' here as I'm not a physican - but I think stopping the morphine now is a wonderful idea! Morphine is an incredible drug and often truly necessary - but it is highly addictive and rarely prescribed for an injury that will be self-healing in time.

Yup, having a good shot of Scotch shortly before bedtime should be ideal - :thumbsup: - and if you're still in ever so much pain, perhaps your doctor could prescribe something short term - other than morphine, of course - gentle smile.

Do hope your should heals very, very soon, mz30 - being in pain is no fun at all!

#8 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:52 AM

Do hope your should heals very, very soon, mz30 - being in pain is no fun at all!

thanks maram ,your right it is no fun ,but at least i can spend more time on b.c :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

Everybody is talking about Work being so Stressfull. At what point do you consider Work is indeed Stressfull???

#10 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Stress is not necessarily a bad thing. Our response to the stress is what puts us in bad situations. Just this last Friday, I was super busy at work, it was actually nice. But when I got home, I didn't decompress, so I was carrying that manic attitude with me around the house.

At one point I actually looked in the mirror and thought, "What the heck are you so stressed about?!" After that, I just relaxed and let things go. (And apologized to my wife. :thumbsup: )

I think we just need to re-assess our coping mechanisms from time to time.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

Stress is not necessarily a bad thing. Our response to the stress is what puts us in bad situations. Just this last Friday, I was super busy at work, it was actually nice. But when I got home, I didn't decompress, so I was carrying that manic attitude with me around the house.

At one point I actually looked in the mirror and thought, "What the heck are you so stressed about?!" After that, I just relaxed and let things go. (And apologized to my wife. :flowers: )

I think we just need to re-assess our coping mechanisms from time to time.

In 35 yrs in Business I found a certain amount of Stress actually a great motivator and used to enjoy challenges. I used to enjoy working 12 hr days up to 5 weeks at a time without a break.Hard work never killed anyone to my knowledge.
But the moment my Body and my Mind could not find a quick solution to a given Problem,then I used to become so stressed out.And I believe that's where the secret is.It is only Stressfull when you feel you can't cope.Too much Stress used to make me physically ill.
This link here on the Net gives a good explanation of Stress. :thumbsup:

http://www.answers.com/topic/stress

Edited by DSTM, 14 May 2007 - 11:23 AM.

#12 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:43 AM

One of the original questions was "is this an illness people abuse?" - and I do believe it is 'over used'. Most may sincerely be suffering from 'stress' when they book off work, but it's a hard 'disease' to pin down - certainly not like a broken leg.

#13 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

I think too often we submit to mediocrity and cop-outs. We make excuses as to why we behave in a certain fashion, but never really try to change the pattern.

It is the ultimate in hypocrisy to complain about one's surroundings and one's reaction to such, without ever evaluating how their reaction could have been more productive.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#14 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

I've had more experience with the exact opposite to this. Many people i know would laugh about how they had "copped" out of work and were managing to blag sickness benefit on account of alcohol abbuse or any other problem they had exaggerated to manipulate the system.

But now i ask myself, why is it that they do this? What are they so scared of? Why is it that they would rather live on pennies than earn a decent wage and be able to afford some nice things in life? The fact that the instability of their lives may have affected their mental health state and confidence is never a question that enters these peoples minds, they are too busy with one upman ship to make up for their inner feelings of failure to tackle this. And so they exclude themselves from society and just accept the fact and even make it a reinforcing characteritic of their identity that they are benefit blaggers. In actual fact, i just reckon its a coping mechanism for their inability to deal with their emotions and the original "stressful" situation that sent them into the downward spiral that led them to the street life in the first place.

I think that even if someone "puts on" work stress, they are obviously taking the time off under the pressure of some reason. Different people can cope with different things at different levels. Too much stress for one may be different for another. When i work, i work very hard and am able to perform to a very high standard and meticulous detail indeed and this is why i am of value, but there is a price, i become fatigued from my thoughts and passion for the work i do far more quickly than others who may not work to the same standards as me but are far more consistent. But within every profession there are people with different capabilities and standards that balance each other out.

Oh yeah and mz30, sorry about your shoulder matey, i dislocated mine but it didnt get popped back for four hours cause of the funny position, i SO understand the pain, well mine was extremely painful anyway, it took half an hour to actually pop it back and i was paralysed for 6 months because it affected the "solar plexus???" nerve junction box thingy in the armpit...anyways, the shoulder was very painful even though my arm was floppy but i had to have a hell of a lot of physio. Hows yours for sensation? Are you going to be getting physio?

#15 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

Oh yeah and mz30, sorry about your shoulder matey, i dislocated mine but it didnt get popped back for four hours cause of the funny position, i SO understand the pain, well mine was extremely painful anyway, it took half an hour to actually pop it back and i was paralysed for 6 months because it affected the "solar plexus???" nerve junction box thingy in the armpit...anyways, the shoulder was very painful even though my arm was floppy but i had to have a hell of a lot of physio. Hows yours for sensation? Are you going to be getting physio?

hi nn23 nice to see you back been on at diffrent times of late,how did your studies go?
as for my shoulder its happened a couple of times before (old childhood injury) and everytime it happens the pain seems to fade faster and faster , so i've been to the hospital tody and they've unstrapped me
and told me to stay off work for 3 weeks and rest it .unfortunately no can do have to be back in derby tommorow to oversee the work and meet with the suits ,but my brother will drive me down and i won't be doing nothing strenuous ,well besides kicking a few butts :flowers: .
as for stress people react in diffrent wys to pressure i for instance go grey ,but after a couple of pints after work i am usually quite calm and relaxed

:thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users