Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hey hey

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 t_chet2001

t_chet2001

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi guys and dolls

I been using HJT and i was just wondering how it works on your side, do you have a program that you put our logs through or do you just look at our logs?

just interested thats all

t_chet2001 (Tom for short) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:12 PM

sorry when i say HJT i mean high jack this logs and stuff..

true legends :D

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:53 PM

Tom,
HJT logs and their analysis takes a very good experienced eye. Our team is the best out there, beginning with Grinler, who owns this site. I'd name the others but there's no need. Analysis takes a LOT of research, practice, skill, experience, and studying. It's no easy task and it's very difficult. There is a number of ways to research each entry in a HJT log but to the trained eye, certain viruses, trojans, and spyware are easily detected.
That being said, our team (I won't speak for any other team) works diligently and they volunteer their time and skill out of the kindness of their hearts. Without them, the bad guys would be winning a lot more. Cheers to the HJT team!
Hope that answers your question. If not, holler and I'll try again, lol.

~67~

#4 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

I was just wondering thats all, coz just from those logs they can work out so much about my system, i was just wondering if it was by the eye of if they fed it into some software. "The Team" are great i think and i will recommend them to any of my friends having trouble due to the way that i have been treated while "passing through" as such!

Pure Legends :thumbsup:

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:11 PM

No, it's not fed into anything 'cept their brain and eyes, lol. No software needed to do the work. Like I mentioned before, it's just practice, practice, practice. If you would like to know something specific, feel free to ask.

~67~

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:09 PM

Well not all of it is eyes and study. I just want to say there are programs and lists that help us read the log. We cant memorize all the start up items and stuff but we begin to memorize the usual after a while.

But the best way is to use the lists to help you and study. Nothing comes to you without some study. Especially HJT.

I just wanted to say that. There is a program to feed some of the logs contents through but its not 100% accurate. I use it as step one of my log analysis.

Hope this helps clear up stuff.

#7 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:16 AM

I was just curious to how it all worked.. thanks for your replies though :thumbsup:

Tom

#8 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:20 AM

I have another question!

You no the envalopes (next to topic) well what does it mean when there is a small red dot on it?

Just wonder, lol!

Tom

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:31 AM

The dot in the center of an envelope shows that is a topic/post that you have
replied to at some point.

Red envelopes signal it a "Hot topic" - having drawn a certain amount of attention from
members. (I'm not exactly sure how many reads or posts drive it into the red zone.)

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:23 PM

I for one never use an automated tool when doing logs, but rather examine each line. The automated analyzers are usually wrong and if not researched properly can hurt your system based on their recommendations.

As you get more experience with analyzing them, they do get quite easier to do though

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:21 PM

Good Question, Tom
I began checking logs casually in July 2004.
Began training in it Sept 2004
First came across the auto-analysis software in Nov 2004.

Until one gains understanding of whats right in a wide variety
of windows versions/malware/good program combinations,
they seem appropriate to use only given the facts:
  • HJT standing alone might (probably does) miss some infection(s) when multiple problems exist (often).
  • They are Beta programs.
  • Recommendations are often not specific.
  • Posting in the respective support forums is encouraged.
  • One HJT log can give different results in different places,
  • therefore, accuracy is an issue.
In practicality the use:
  • Does reinforce what system files are consistantly found to be good.
  • Is best utilized comparing dozens of logs, not particularly just one (your own, for instance).
  • may be refined as time & databases improve.
  • presently offers marginally accurate results.
Therefore, I also check each log line for line.
Even that presents variables.
Malware changes frequently.
Databases accumulate data slowly.

Bottomline IMHO is:
Wait and see.
Don't use them without guidance.
I hope they can be improved.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#12 Jaybird934

Jaybird934

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

Excellent question T_chet. I've been wondering myself. In fact, being the supergeek that I am....I started trying to take a log or two that have already been diagnosed to see if I could reach similar conclusions. When in the past I'd attempt to help family and friends with their computer problems, if installing virus protection :thumbsup: (sad, I know), ad-aware, spybot, windows updates, searching b-boards and symantec, etc, did not remove the problem, I was in trouble. Now I have these boards. But, I want to do it too!!!! At this point I'm trying to gauge how much I'd have to learn so that I could help out. I'm already starting to see patterns in the logs, as was referred to in this thread. This is unfortunately leading me only to more questions. :flowers: For example, is there a document of some kind you send to "HJT log reader trainees" that explains what all the tools (LSfix, CWSshredder, Killbox, Findit, etc.) available to assist you are?? ...and when to use them? ...or what preferred reference sites are used?? (like, startup.iamnotageek.com/ Vs. others that do the same thing)

Also, I had already noticed that the automated HJT log analyzer I found seemed not always to be correct. It was advising this random log I copy/pasted in there to remove a couple fairly important lines, I thought. Perhaps mistakenly, I figured this tool could still be useful if the reverse were not also true....that is, it IS always right when it says something is SAFE. This way, I could copy a log to a txt file....and begin by removing the lines it says are safe....then analyze the remaining lines in greater detail. Flawed plan?

Sorry about all the questions. I don't deal well with uncertainty...personal problem. Maybe there is a thread for that? ...like, support group or something? I think this site can be the best tool a home computer user has for finding information about how to do/fix anything PC related. Living in a rural small town where people often turn to me with computer related questions, I appreciate this more.

regards, Jaybird

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

Jaybird,

We actually have a training program here that will answer all these questions about reading logs . If you are interested in joining, send me a private messge

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

I think that this type of a forum is the best way for someone to explore the ways to fix their computers as there are a lot of knowledgeable people around that can not only offer suggestions but brainstorm problems and come up with viable solutions.

Plus the fact that the suggestions mean that you become more involved with your machine as you have to apply the techniques yourself. The best way to learn and the more you learn the more comfortable you become trying different things. You also become more aware as to the seriousness of a situation as it occurs.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users